Dick, you are so right! I wonder if it has to do with the syntactic role of the noun phrase (S or O)...but I agree with your judgments. Thanks for the insight

Linda

Linda Di Desidero, PhD

Director, Leadership Communication Skills Center

Marine Corps University

Gray Research Center, Room 122

Quantico, Virginia 22134

703-784-4401

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Linda,

I agree that the two starred sentences are bad, but perhaps they are more awkward than ungrammatical. "This is" as the opening may be to blame. I find the following to be fine:

     The mansion of the most hated man in America, built in 1849, is now celebrated as a world-class art museum.

Here's one with not one but two nouns separating the participial phrase from the noun it modifies:

    The famous statue of Shakespeare in Central Park, commissioned in 1864, was not erected until 1872.

I have no trouble with that one either.

Dick

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Linda Di Desidero <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Just to jump in to the conversation here: I disagree with the grammaticality judgment that allows the participial phrase to attach to the first noun in the sentence--mansion--rather than the noun that is closest to the participial phrase (man). I see nothing wrong with having the phrase attach lower in the tree; in fact, it has to attach that way for me. Examples:

This is the mansion of the most hated man in American, born in 1849.
*This is the mansion of the most hated man in American, built in 1849.

This is the mansion of the most hated man in American, who was born in 1849.
*This is the mansion of the most hated man in American, which was built in 1849.

Happy new year :)

Linda

Linda Di Desidero, PhD

Director, Leadership Communication Skills Center

Marine Corps University

Gray Research Center, Room 122

Quantico, Virginia 22134

703-784-4401

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Right you are, Bruce. I was just reading about Henry Clay and jumped to conclusions.

Frick may have been America's most hated man, but I always had kind thoughts when visiting his mansion and art collection in NYC.

Dick

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dick & John,

Henry Clay Frick, the industrialist, was indeed born in 1849 (December 19).
Am I right to assume that the awkward noun phrase is a sentence fragment, apparently the title of an illustration or picture?
The reference to "this day," however, makes me think maybe not.
The adjective phrase (participle) modifying man, which is a part of the quotative phrase (itself another fragment), is not really a very smooth style.  I think I would want to rewrite it:

The stunning mansion of 'the most hated man in America' (who was born on this day in 1849).