From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Despain
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Gerunds into participles -- this time it's right!

Dicks question, I believe, has to do with selection restrictions.  In (1) the prepositional particle to introduces a form of the indirect object of paying money (DO) and is indeed the students (persons) who happen to be in the process of shoveling the sidewalk (he paid them money).  In (2) the object is an event and object to selects for it as its prepositional object (PO) (he objected to it).  The noun phrase object looks for all the world to be headed by a noun (gerund) form of the verb with its complement retained.

Craig's suggestion that these are both instances of "non-finite clauses" can be confusing, since there are such grammatical structures called small clauses (infinitive phrases marked with to that like the gerund are also a noun form of the verb), and indirect predicates that might reasonably be called by that name.  I've already expressed my feelings, that the gerund construction in English was borrowed from a similar structure in Latin.  Its interpretation and parse often interferes, I believe, with that of the imperfect participle, and should be avoided when there is confusion or awkwardness.

Bruce