Thanks Craig, for the specific titles. I'll be looking them up.

I'm already persuaded that language is a complex adaptive system. There's value in teaching the more formal/systematic aspects, imo, but ultimately that won't be enough to explain how language works.  I wish more students learned more about language throughout their schooling (as I'm sure we all do!)

Beth

________________________________
From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Hancock, Craig G [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Relevance of Syntax & Semantics: "I'm gonna write me some music about"

Beth,

    If we think of the patterns of language as closer to biology than to physics, then we would expect that elements of language may be on their way toward different group status as they expand or shift their patterns of use. Phrasal verbs, for example, evolve their phrasal status over time, which means that there is an inevitable in-between time when they would are hard to classify.

    If you read nothing else by Bybee, I would recommend Language, Usage, and Cognition (Cambridge Univ Press, 2010), which makes a great case for language as a "complex adaptive system."  If we think of language--especially the grammar--as a formal system, then the kind of test you mention (verb expansion formula) is more relvant. If it's a "complex adaptive system," then formal tests can ber an awkward lens. Bybee uses sand dunes as an analogy--language gives us "considerable variation among individual instances, as well as gradience and change over time" (Bybee p.1). "A theory of language could reasonably be focused on the dynamic processes that create languages and give them both their structure and their variance" (same page).

    For a relevant Bybee article, I would also recommend "Cognitive Processes in Grammaticalization" which appears in the second volume of The New Psychology of Language (Michael Tomasello ed. Larence Birnbaum 2003). As Bybee points out, the kind of phonetic reduction we get with 'gonna' and oughtta' is typical of grammaticalization. We don't say "I'm gonna New York" for "I'm going to New York," but we do say "I'm gonna take the train to New York" or "It's gonna rain." We only use it for expressions of intention and prediction, which are modal in function. This would be a good formal argument for "going to" functioning as a constituent group when modal functions are carried out, but not for physical movement: going plus to New York.

    This is a large shift away from the formal approaches to language that have been the norm for the last century. It certainly changes the conversation about what it's useful to know.

Craig