From: "Stahlke, Herbert" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: modifier question
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 02:52:25 +0000

I’m just picking up on this thread after being gone for a month, so please excuse me if I cover already covered ground.  The term “phrasal verb” covers a range of verb-particle constructions that vary in their behavior.  The best informal treatment of seen of this is in Mark Lester’s Grammar in the Classroom.  I haven’t seen the new edition, so I don’t know how he handles it there, but the older edition’s treatment was lucid and pretty complete.

Herb