A note from "the guy" in question - Jason, you are in error. The list members did indeed answer my question about what word comes first in an alphabetical list (fortunately, all were in agreement!), and then they "questioned the system" - which is, in fact, quite helpful and perfectly in keeping with the academic point of view of this list. If you don't want to hear people challenge conventions, this ain't the the place to hang out!

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:44:47 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Alphabetizing
To: [log in to unmask]

You're all the best. A guy asks which comes first, and we question the system as a whole. It really makes my day--in all seriousness.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Beth Young <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
When I worked at a public library, we would have listed J. Navy first. (You alphabetize word by word, secondarily by letters within a word.) But there are complications.  Here's a link to the ALA filing rules: http://www.ala.org/tools/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet27

Of course the whole alphabet is arbitrary, so you could probably use any system you wanted, as long as it enabled you to find things again.

Beth

Dr. Beth Rapp Young
Associate Professor, English

University of Central Florida
"Reach for the Stars"

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ ========================================================================Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 01:26:41 +0000 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: "Stahlke, Herbert" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Alphabetizing In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_85f27d73c71b4e9b8bdc37d4dcbd6720CO2PR05MB682namprd05pro_" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_000_85f27d73c71b4e9b8bdc37d4dcbd6720CO2PR05MB682namprd05pro_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable And of course it depends on the alphabet, so Hebrew and Arabic would alphabetize following the order of their alphabets. Chinese alphabetizes by the number of strokes in a character. I have no idea what Japanese or Korean do with their mixed writing systems. Herb From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Beth Young Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 7:33 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: Alphabetizing When I worked at a public library, we would have listed J. Navy first. (You alphabetize word by word, secondarily by letters within a word.) But there are complications. Here's a link to the ALA filing rules: http://www.ala.org/tools/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet27 Of course the whole alphabet is arbitrary, so you could probably use any system you wanted, as long as it enabled you to find things again. Beth Dr. Beth Rapp Young Associate Professor, English [log in to unmask] University of Central Florida "Reach for the Stars" ________________________________ From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Geoffrey Layton [[log in to unmask]] Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 6:14 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Alphabetizing I have never seen an alphabet question on the list, but there's a first time for everything: If you're alphabetizing J. Navy and Jade (two colors), which comes first? To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_000_85f27d73c71b4e9b8bdc37d4dcbd6720CO2PR05MB682namprd05pro_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_000_85f27d73c71b4e9b8bdc37d4dcbd6720CO2PR05MB682namprd05pro_-- ========================================================================Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 22:37:15 -0400 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Michael <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Alphabetizing In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="------------090300090704060600000801" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090300090704060600000801 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Herb and all: I used to do research in Japanese libraries years ago. As I recall, classification was based in part on Japanese phonology, not the written form of the word or topic. You had to know the sound of the word or phrase and its corresponding written form, which could be either hiragana, katakana, romaji, or kanji (Chinese characters). Keep in mind, you also had to know your topic and related classification headings. There are books that provide these classification headings and you can see an example in English whenever you look at the LOC headings in a library's computerized reference info. It has been many years since I have been in a Japanese library, but I did not have much trouble finding things. My Japanese was not that good, but I knew enough basic linguistics, Japanese, and the library classification system to figure it out. Ironically, the most difficult thing to do was getting permission to enter the libraries at different universities around Tokyo. You needed a letter of introduction from your university. Sometimes they would deny you permission to enter. The Japanese had a very different idea about the free flow of ideas. No doubt things have changed. My first published paper was on Likert scales, which I wrote entirely in Japan using Japanese libraries with English holdings. Consider that before Mr. Likert invented these ubiquitous measurements in the 1930s, they did not exist. I was able to find his original paper published in 1932 at the U of Tokyo library along a back wall in a hidden area. Once I found the paper, it was a eureka moment because I could not have completed my paper without the original. I also did research using Japanese sources for my work as a newspaper reporter. I had to find statistics about the the Japanese educational system, population demographics, and immigration data, which were all published in Japanese. Likert scales, like classification schemes, such as the Library of Congress headings or the numerous systems of grammar, are social constructs, subject to constant revision and eventual extinction. There is an erroneous perception by the public that grammar descriptions are rule-governed and fixed. Unfortunately, some pedagogical grammar textbooks aimed at undergraduates reinforce this belief, especially when they discuss one-off usage rules like inflammable vs. flammable. Mike Busch > And of course it depends on the alphabet, so Hebrew and Arabic would > alphabetize following the order of their alphabets. Chinese > alphabetizes by the number of strokes in a character. I have no idea > what Japanese or Korean do with their mixed writing systems. > > Herb > > *From:*Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] *On Behalf Of *Beth Young > *Sent:* Monday, August 25, 2014 7:33 PM > *To:* [log in to unmask] > *Subject:* Re: Alphabetizing > > When I worked at a public library, we would have listed J. Navy first. > (You alphabetize word by word, secondarily by letters within a word.) > But there are complications. Here's a link to the ALA filing rules: > http://www.ala.org/tools/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet27 > > Of course the whole alphabet is arbitrary, so you could probably use > any system you wanted, as long as it enabled you to find things again. > > Beth > > Dr. Beth Rapp Young > Associate Professor, English > [log in to unmask] > > University of Central Florida > "Reach for the Stars" > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > *From:*Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar > [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Geoffrey Layton > [[log in to unmask]] > *Sent:* Monday, August 25, 2014 6:14 PM > *To:* [log in to unmask] > *Subject:* Alphabetizing > > I have never seen an alphabet question on the list, but there's a > first time for everything: > > If you're alphabetizing /J. Navy/ and /Jade/ (two colors), which comes > first? > > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web > interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select > "Join or leave the list" > > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ > > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web > interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select > "Join or leave the list" > > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ > > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web > interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select > "Join or leave the list" > > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --------------090300090704060600000801 Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable X-MIME-Autoconverted: from 8bit to quoted-printable by mualmaip04.mcs.muohio.edu id s7Q2bHuZ024977

[...]

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --------------090300090704060600000801-- ========================================================================Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 18:26:00 -0500 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]> Subject: NCTE-FYI Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_6addd57a-461e-44a5-bf6c-02e96712db8e_" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_6addd57a-461e-44a5-bf6c-02e96712db8e_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable NCTE just posted this link on its Facebook page - watcha'll think? http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/08/22/341898975/a-picture-of-language-the-fading-art-of-diagramming-sentences To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_6addd57a-461e-44a5-bf6c-02e96712db8e_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_6addd57a-461e-44a5-bf6c-02e96712db8e_-- ========================================================================Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 11:33:39 -0400 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Jean Waldman <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary cf3043542ee6f63105019e246a Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --20cf3043542ee6f63105019e246a Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 The trouble with articles like this is they never mention phrase structure trees. They talk as if there is only one way to make a geometric diagram of a sentence. It might be an enlightening exercise to have students invent new ways to show the relationships between the words in a sentence. Having them use Reed-Kellog or phrase structure diagrams and then grading them on right or wrong is discouraging for the students. On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > NCTE just posted this link on its Facebook page - watcha'll think? > > > http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/08/22/341898975/a-picture-of-language-the-fading-art-of-diagramming-sentences > > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web > interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select > "Join or leave the list" > > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --20cf3043542ee6f63105019e246a Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --20cf3043542ee6f63105019e246a-- ========================================================================Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 16:26:18 +0000 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: "Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_a00c8fd252254b74aacbf3c23f162570BN1PR04MB488namprd04pro_" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_000_a00c8fd252254b74aacbf3c23f162570BN1PR04MB488namprd04pro_ Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" VGhpcyBpcyBhYm91dCBhcyBiaWFzZWQgYXMgaXQgZ2V0cy4gVG8gdGhpbmsgb2Ygc2VudGVuY2Ug ZGlhZ3JhbW1pbmcgYXMg4oCcYSByZXBldGl0aXZlIGRyaWxsIGFuZCBleGVyY2lzZeKAnSBpcyBh IGh1Z2Ugc3RyZXRjaC4gR2l2aW5nIGEgbmljZSBleGFtcGxlIGxpa2UgdGhlIG9wZW5pbmcgc2Vu dGVuY2UgdG8gS2Fma2HigJlzIHN0b3J5IChpbiB0cmFuc2xhdGlvbikgYW5kIHRoZW4gZm9jdXNp bmcgYXR0ZW50aW9uIG9uIOKAnHRoZSBEb2cgYmFya2Vk4oCdIGFzIHlvdXIgcHJpbWUgZXhhbXBs ZSBkb2VzbuKAmXQgaGVscC4gQW5kIGRvZXMgYW55b25lIGtub3cgb2YgYW55IGF0dGVtcHQgdG8g Z2V0IHN0dWRlbnRzIHRvICBkaWFncmFtIHRoZSBzZW50ZW5jZXMgdGhleSB3ZXJlIHdyaXRpbmcg YXMgYSBzdGVwIGluIGNvbXBvc2l0aW9uPyBJdCB3b3VsZCBiZSBzaWxseSBhdCBiZXN0LiBOZXZl ciBoYXBwZW5lZCBpbiBteSB3b3JsZCwgYW5kIEkgZG9u4oCZdCBrbm93IG9mIGFueW9uZSB3aG8g aGFzIG9yIHdvdWxkIHByb3Bvc2UgaXQuDQogICAgVGhlIHF1ZXN0aW9uIGlzIHdoZXRoZXIga25v d2xlZGdlIGFib3V0IGhvdyBsYW5ndWFnZSB3b3JrcyBzaG91bGQgaGF2ZSBhIHBsYWNlIGluIG91 ciBjdXJyaWN1bHVtIGFuZCB0aGVuIHdoZXRoZXIgc2VudGVuY2UgZGlhZ3JhbW1pbmcgaXMgYSBn b29kIHdheSB0byBtb3ZlIHRoYXQgZm9yd2FyZC4gSSB3b3VsZCBzYXkgeWVzIHRvIGJvdGguDQog ICBJdOKAmXMgaW50ZXJlc3RpbmcgdGhhdCB0aGUgS2Fma2Egc2VudGVuY2UgYXMgZGlhZ3JhbW1l ZCBkb2VzbuKAmXQgbGV0IHVzIHRhbGsgYWJvdXQgdGhlIGZhY3QgdGhhdCB0aGUgc3Vib3JkaW5h dGUgY2xhdXNlIGNvbWVzIGZpcnN0IGFuZCDigJxnaWdhbnRpYyBpbnNlY3TigJ0gaXMgdGhlIHN1 cnByaXNpbmcgY3VsbWluYXRpb24gb2YgYW4gb3RoZXJ3aXNlIHJvdXRpbmUgZXZlbnQuIFdoeSBk b2VzIGhlIHNheSBHcmVnb3Ig4oCcZm91bmQgaGltc2VsZiB0cmFuc2Zvcm1lZOKAnSByYXRoZXIg dGhhbiBzaW1wbHkgc2F5aW5nIHRoYXQgaXQgaGFwcGVuZWQ/ICBJcyBpdCBwb3NzaWJsZSB0byBo YXZlIHRoYXQgc29ydCBvZiBjb252ZXJzYXRpb24gYWJvdXQgbWVhbmluZyBpbiByZWxhdGlvbiB0 byBjcmFmdCB3aXRob3V0IGJyaW5naW5nIHRoZSBzZW50ZW5jZSBzdHJ1Y3R1cmUgaW50byBmb2N1 cz8gSXMgdGhpcyDigJxyZXBldGl0aXZlIGRyaWxsIGFuZCBleGVyY2lzZeKAnSBvciByZWFkaW5n IGF0IGl0cyBoaWdoZXN0IGxldmVsIG9mIHNvcGhpc3RpY2F0aW9uPw0KICAgIFNlbnRlbmNlIGRp YWdyYW1taW5nIGhlbHBlZCBzZXQgYSBmb3VuZGF0aW9uIGZvciBrbm93bGVkZ2UgYWJvdXQgbGFu Z3VhZ2UgdGhhdCBoYXMgaGVscGVkIG1lIGVub3Jtb3VzbHkgYXMgdGVhY2hlciBhbmQgd3JpdGVy LiAgQXMgSmVhbiBzYXlzIHF1aXRlIHdlbGwsIGl0IGlzIG5vdCBhIGdvYWwgaW4gaXRzZWxmIGFu ZCBzaG91bGQgbmV2ZXIgYmUgdHJlYXRlZCBhcyBzdWNoLiBCdXQgdG8gZGlzbWlzcyBpdCBzdW1t YXJpbHkgb24gdGhlIGJhc2lzIG9mIDE5NjDigJlzIGNyaXRpY2lzbSBvZiByZXBldGl0aXZlIGRy aWxsIGlzIGEgdGVycmlibGUgbWlzdGFrZS4NCiAgICBUaGUgd3JpdGVy4oCZcyB0YXNrIGlzIHRv IHJldmVhbCBhIHN1YmplY3QsIG5vdCBvYnNjdXJlIGl0LiBUaGUgd3JpdGVyIHNlZW1zIGludGVu dCBvbiBzdXBwb3J0aW5nIHRoZSBwYXJ0eSBsaW5lLg0KDQpDcmFpZw0KDQpGcm9tOiBBc3NlbWJs eSBmb3IgdGhlIFRlYWNoaW5nIG9mIEVuZ2xpc2ggR3JhbW1hciBbbWFpbHRvOkFURUdATElTVFNF UlYuTUlBTUlPSC5FRFVdIE9uIEJlaGFsZiBPZiBKZWFuIFdhbGRtYW4NClNlbnQ6IFdlZG5lc2Rh eSwgQXVndXN0IDI3LCAyMDE0IDExOjM0IEFNDQpUbzogQVRFR0BMSVNUU0VSVi5NSUFNSU9ILkVE VQ0KU3ViamVjdDogUmU6IE5DVEUtRllJDQoNClRoZSB0cm91YmxlIHdpdGggYXJ0aWNsZXMgbGlr ZSB0aGlzIGlzIHRoZXkgbmV2ZXIgbWVudGlvbiBwaHJhc2Ugc3RydWN0dXJlIHRyZWVzLiAgVGhl eSB0YWxrIGFzIGlmIHRoZXJlIGlzIG9ubHkgb25lIHdheSB0byBtYWtlIGEgZ2VvbWV0cmljIGRp YWdyYW0gb2YgYSBzZW50ZW5jZS4gIEl0IG1pZ2h0IGJlIGFuIGVubGlnaHRlbmluZyBleGVyY2lz ZSB0byBoYXZlIHN0dWRlbnRzIGludmVudCBuZXcgd2F5cyB0byBzaG93IHRoZSByZWxhdGlvbnNo aXBzIGJldHdlZW4gdGhlIHdvcmRzIGluIGEgc2VudGVuY2UuICBIYXZpbmcgdGhlbSB1c2UgUmVl ZC1LZWxsb2cgb3IgcGhyYXNlIHN0cnVjdHVyZSBkaWFncmFtcyBhbmQgdGhlbiBncmFkaW5nIHRo ZW0gb24gcmlnaHQgb3Igd3JvbmcgaXMgZGlzY291cmFnaW5nIGZvciB0aGUgc3R1ZGVudHMuDQoN Ck9uIFR1ZSwgQXVnIDI2LCAyMDE0IGF0IDc6MjYgUE0sIEdlb2ZmcmV5IExheXRvbiA8d3JpdGVy Z3dsQGhvdG1haWwuY29tPG1haWx0bzp3cml0ZXJnd2xAaG90bWFpbC5jb20+PiB3cm90ZToNCk5D VEUganVzdCBwb3N0ZWQgdGhpcyBsaW5rIG9uIGl0cyBGYWNlYm9vayBwYWdlIC0gd2F0Y2hhJ2xs IHRoaW5rPw0KDQpodHRwOi8vd3d3Lm5wci5vcmcvYmxvZ3MvZWQvMjAxNC8wOC8yMi8zNDE4OTg5 NzUvYS1waWN0dXJlLW9mLWxhbmd1YWdlLXRoZS1mYWRpbmctYXJ0LW9mLWRpYWdyYW1taW5nLXNl bnRlbmNlcw0KVG8gam9pbiBvciBsZWF2ZSB0aGlzIExJU1RTRVJWIGxpc3QsIHBsZWFzZSB2aXNp dCB0aGUgbGlzdCdzIHdlYiBpbnRlcmZhY2UgYXQ6IGh0dHA6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5tdW9oaW8uZWR1 L2FyY2hpdmVzL2F0ZWcuaHRtbCBhbmQgc2VsZWN0ICJKb2luIG9yIGxlYXZlIHRoZSBsaXN0Ig0K DQpWaXNpdCBBVEVHJ3Mgd2ViIHNpdGUgYXQgaHR0cDovL2F0ZWcub3JnLw0KDQpUbyBqb2luIG9y IGxlYXZlIHRoaXMgTElTVFNFUlYgbGlzdCwgcGxlYXNlIHZpc2l0IHRoZSBsaXN0J3Mgd2ViIGlu dGVyZmFjZSBhdDogaHR0cDovL2xpc3RzZXJ2Lm11b2hpby5lZHUvYXJjaGl2ZXMvYXRlZy5odG1s IGFuZCBzZWxlY3QgIkpvaW4gb3IgbGVhdmUgdGhlIGxpc3QiDQoNClZpc2l0IEFURUcncyB3ZWIg c2l0ZSBhdCBodHRwOi8vYXRlZy5vcmcvDQoNClRvIGpvaW4gb3IgbGVhdmUgdGhpcyBMSVNUU0VS ViBsaXN0LCBwbGVhc2UgdmlzaXQgdGhlIGxpc3QncyB3ZWIgaW50ZXJmYWNlIGF0Og0KICAgICBo dHRwOi8vbGlzdHNlcnYubXVvaGlvLmVkdS9hcmNoaXZlcy9hdGVnLmh0bWwNCmFuZCBzZWxlY3Qg IkpvaW4gb3IgbGVhdmUgdGhlIGxpc3QiDQoNClZpc2l0IEFURUcncyB3ZWIgc2l0ZSBhdCBodHRw Oi8vYXRlZy5vcmcvDQo--_000_a00c8fd252254b74aacbf3c23f162570BN1PR04MB488namprd04pro_ Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" PGh0bWwgeG1sbnM6dj0idXJuOnNjaGVtYXMtbWljcm9zb2Z0LWNvbTp2bWwiIHhtbG5zOm89InVy bjpzY2hlbWFzLW1pY3Jvc29mdC1jb206b2ZmaWNlOm9mZmljZSIgeG1sbnM6dz0idXJuOnNjaGVt YXMtbWljcm9zb2Z0LWNvbTpvZmZpY2U6d29yZCIgeG1sbnM6bT0iaHR0cDovL3NjaGVtYXMubWlj cm9zb2Z0LmNvbS9vZmZpY2UvMjAwNC8xMi9vbW1sIiB4bWxucz0iaHR0cDovL3d3dy53My5vcmcv VFIvUkVDLWh0bWw0MCI+DQo8aGVhZD4NCjxtZXRhIGh0dHAtZXF1aXY9IkNvbnRlbnQtVHlwZSIg Y29udGVudD0idGV4dC9odG1sOyBjaGFyc2V0PXV0Zi04Ij4NCjxtZXRhIG5hbWU9IkdlbmVyYXRv ciIgY29udGVudD0iTWljcm9zb2Z0IFdvcmQgMTQgKGZpbHRlcmVkIG1lZGl1bSkiPg0KPHN0eWxl PjwhLS0NCi8qIEZvbnQgRGVmaW5pdGlvbnMgKi8NCkBmb250LWZhY2UNCgl7Zm9udC1mYW1pbHk6 Q2FsaWJyaTsNCglwYW5vc2UtMToyIDE1IDUgMiAyIDIgNCAzIDIgNDt9DQpAZm9udC1mYWNlDQoJ e2ZvbnQtZmFtaWx5OlRhaG9tYTsNCglwYW5vc2UtMToyIDExIDYgNCAzIDUgNCA0IDIgNDt9DQov KiBTdHlsZSBEZWZpbml0aW9ucyAqLw0KcC5Nc29Ob3JtYWwsIGxpLk1zb05vcm1hbCwgZGl2Lk1z b05vcm1hbA0KCXttYXJnaW46MGluOw0KCW1hcmdpbi1ib3R0b206LjAwMDFwdDsNCglmb250LXNp emU6MTIuMHB0Ow0KCWZvbnQtZmFtaWx5OiJUaW1lcyBOZXcgUm9tYW4iLCJzZXJpZiI7fQ0KYTps aW5rLCBzcGFuLk1zb0h5cGVybGluaw0KCXttc28tc3R5bGUtcHJpb3JpdHk6OTk7DQoJY29sb3I6 Ymx1ZTsNCgl0ZXh0LWRlY29yYXRpb246dW5kZXJsaW5lO30NCmE6dmlzaXRlZCwgc3Bhbi5Nc29I eXBlcmxpbmtGb2xsb3dlZA0KCXttc28tc3R5bGUtcHJpb3JpdHk6OTk7DQoJY29sb3I6cHVycGxl Ow0KCXRleHQtZGVjb3JhdGlvbjp1bmRlcmxpbmU7fQ0KcA0KCXttc28tc3R5bGUtcHJpb3JpdHk6 OTk7DQoJbXNvLW1hcmdpbi10b3AtYWx0OmF1dG87DQoJbWFyZ2luLXJpZ2h0OjBpbjsNCgltc28t bWFyZ2luLWJvdHRvbS1hbHQ6YXV0bzsNCgltYXJnaW4tbGVmdDowaW47DQoJZm9udC1zaXplOjEy LjBwdDsNCglmb250LWZhbWlseToiVGltZXMgTmV3IFJvbWFuIiwic2VyaWYiO30NCnNwYW4uRW1h aWxTdHlsZTE4DQoJe21zby1zdHlsZS10eXBlOnBlcnNvbmFsLXJlcGx5Ow0KCWZvbnQtZmFtaWx5 OiJDYWxpYnJpIiwic2Fucy1zZXJpZiI7DQoJY29sb3I6IzFGNDk3RDt9DQouTXNvQ2hwRGVmYXVs dA0KCXttc28tc3R5bGUtdHlwZTpleHBvcnQtb25seTsNCglmb250LWZhbWlseToiQ2FsaWJyaSIs InNhbnMtc2VyaWYiO30NCkBwYWdlIFdvcmRTZWN0aW9uMQ0KCXtzaXplOjguNWluIDExLjBpbjsN CgltYXJnaW46MS4waW4gMS4waW4gMS4waW4gMS4waW47fQ0KZGl2LldvcmRTZWN0aW9uMQ0KCXtw YWdlOldvcmRTZWN0aW9uMTt9DQotLT48L3N0eWxlPjwhLS1baWYgZ3RlIG1zbyA5XT48eG1sPg0K PG86c2hhcGVkZWZhdWx0cyB2OmV4dD0iZWRpdCIgc3BpZG1heD0iMTAyNiIgLz4NCjwveG1sPjwh W2VuZGlmXS0tPjwhLS1baWYgZ3RlIG1zbyA5XT48eG1sPg0KPG86c2hhcGVsYXlvdXQgdjpleHQ9 ImVkaXQiPg0KPG86aWRtYXAgdjpleHQ9ImVkaXQiIGRhdGE9IjEiIC8+DQo8L286c2hhcGVsYXlv dXQ+PC94bWw+PCFbZW5kaWZdLS0+DQo8L2hlYWQ+DQo8Ym9keSBsYW5nPSJFTi1VUyIgbGluaz0i Ymx1ZSIgdmxpbms9InB1cnBsZSI+DQo8ZGl2IGNsYXNzPSJXb3JkU2VjdGlvbjEiPg0KPHAgY2xh c3M9Ik1zb05vcm1hbCI+PHNwYW4gc3R5bGU9ImZvbnQtc2l6ZToxMS4wcHQ7Zm9udC1mYW1pbHk6 JnF1b3Q7Q2FsaWJyaSZxdW90OywmcXVvdDtzYW5zLXNlcmlmJnF1b3Q7O2NvbG9yOiMxRjQ5N0Qi PlRoaXMgaXMgYWJvdXQgYXMgYmlhc2VkIGFzIGl0IGdldHMuIFRvIHRoaW5rIG9mIHNlbnRlbmNl IGRpYWdyYW1taW5nIGFzIOKAnGEgcmVwZXRpdGl2ZSBkcmlsbCBhbmQgZXhlcmNpc2XigJ0gaXMg YSBodWdlIHN0cmV0Y2guIEdpdmluZyBhIG5pY2UgZXhhbXBsZSBsaWtlIHRoZQ0KIG9wZW5pbmcg c2VudGVuY2UgdG8gS2Fma2HigJlzIHN0b3J5IChpbiB0cmFuc2xhdGlvbikgYW5kIHRoZW4gZm9j dXNpbmcgYXR0ZW50aW9uIG9uIOKAnHRoZSBEb2cgYmFya2Vk4oCdIGFzIHlvdXIgcHJpbWUgZXhh bXBsZSBkb2VzbuKAmXQgaGVscC4gQW5kIGRvZXMgYW55b25lIGtub3cgb2YgYW55IGF0dGVtcHQg dG8gZ2V0IHN0dWRlbnRzIHRvICZuYnNwO2RpYWdyYW0gdGhlIHNlbnRlbmNlcyB0aGV5IHdlcmUg d3JpdGluZyBhcyBhIHN0ZXAgaW4gY29tcG9zaXRpb24/DQogSXQgd291bGQgYmUgc2lsbHkgYXQg YmVzdC4gTmV2ZXIgaGFwcGVuZWQgaW4gbXkgd29ybGQsIGFuZCBJIGRvbuKAmXQga25vdyBvZiBh bnlvbmUgd2hvIGhhcyBvciB3b3VsZCBwcm9wb3NlIGl0Lg0KPG86cD48L286cD48L3NwYW4+PC9w Pg0KPHAgY2xhc3M9Ik1zb05vcm1hbCI+PHNwYW4gc3R5bGU9ImZvbnQtc2l6ZToxMS4wcHQ7Zm9u dC1mYW1pbHk6JnF1b3Q7Q2FsaWJyaSZxdW90OywmcXVvdDtzYW5zLXNlcmlmJnF1b3Q7O2NvbG9y OiMxRjQ5N0QiPiZuYnNwOyZuYnNwOyZuYnNwOyZuYnNwO1RoZSBxdWVzdGlvbiBpcyB3aGV0aGVy IGtub3dsZWRnZSBhYm91dCBob3cgbGFuZ3VhZ2Ugd29ya3Mgc2hvdWxkIGhhdmUgYSBwbGFjZSBp biBvdXIgY3VycmljdWx1bSBhbmQgdGhlbiB3aGV0aGVyIHNlbnRlbmNlIGRpYWdyYW1taW5nIGlz IGEgZ29vZCB3YXkgdG8NCiBtb3ZlIHRoYXQgZm9yd2FyZC4gSSB3b3VsZCBzYXkgeWVzIHRvIGJv dGguIDxvOnA+PC9vOnA+PC9zcGFuPjwvcD4NCjxwIGNsYXNzPSJNc29Ob3JtYWwiPjxzcGFuIHN0 eWxlPSJmb250LXNpemU6MTEuMHB0O2ZvbnQtZmFtaWx5OiZxdW90O0NhbGlicmkmcXVvdDssJnF1 b3Q7c2Fucy1zZXJpZiZxdW90Oztjb2xvcjojMUY0OTdEIj4mbmJzcDsmbmJzcDsmbmJzcDtJdOKA mXMgaW50ZXJlc3RpbmcgdGhhdCB0aGUgS2Fma2Egc2VudGVuY2UgYXMgZGlhZ3JhbW1lZCBkb2Vz buKAmXQgbGV0IHVzIHRhbGsgYWJvdXQgdGhlIGZhY3QgdGhhdCB0aGUgc3Vib3JkaW5hdGUgY2xh dXNlIGNvbWVzIGZpcnN0IGFuZCDigJxnaWdhbnRpYyBpbnNlY3TigJ0gaXMNCiB0aGUgc3VycHJp c2luZyBjdWxtaW5hdGlvbiBvZiBhbiBvdGhlcndpc2Ugcm91dGluZSBldmVudC4gV2h5IGRvZXMg aGUgc2F5IEdyZWdvciDigJxmb3VuZCBoaW1zZWxmIHRyYW5zZm9ybWVk4oCdIHJhdGhlciB0aGFu IHNpbXBseSBzYXlpbmcgdGhhdCBpdCBoYXBwZW5lZD8gJm5ic3A7SXMgaXQgcG9zc2libGUgdG8g aGF2ZSB0aGF0IHNvcnQgb2YgY29udmVyc2F0aW9uIGFib3V0IG1lYW5pbmcgaW4gcmVsYXRpb24g dG8gY3JhZnQgd2l0aG91dCBicmluZ2luZyB0aGUNCiBzZW50ZW5jZSBzdHJ1Y3R1cmUgaW50byBm b2N1cz8gSXMgdGhpcyDigJxyZXBldGl0aXZlIGRyaWxsIGFuZCBleGVyY2lzZeKAnSBvciByZWFk aW5nIGF0IGl0cyBoaWdoZXN0IGxldmVsIG9mIHNvcGhpc3RpY2F0aW9uPw0KPG86cD48L286cD48 L3NwYW4+PC9wPg0KPHAgY2xhc3M9Ik1zb05vcm1hbCI+PHNwYW4gc3R5bGU9ImZvbnQtc2l6ZTox MS4wcHQ7Zm9udC1mYW1pbHk6JnF1b3Q7Q2FsaWJyaSZxdW90OywmcXVvdDtzYW5zLXNlcmlmJnF1 b3Q7O2NvbG9yOiMxRjQ5N0QiPiZuYnNwOyZuYnNwOyZuYnNwOyZuYnNwO1NlbnRlbmNlIGRpYWdy YW1taW5nIGhlbHBlZCBzZXQgYSBmb3VuZGF0aW9uIGZvciBrbm93bGVkZ2UgYWJvdXQgbGFuZ3Vh Z2UgdGhhdCBoYXMgaGVscGVkIG1lIGVub3Jtb3VzbHkgYXMgdGVhY2hlciBhbmQgd3JpdGVyLiAm bmJzcDtBcyBKZWFuIHNheXMgcXVpdGUgd2VsbCwNCiBpdCBpcyBub3QgYSBnb2FsIGluIGl0c2Vs ZiBhbmQgc2hvdWxkIG5ldmVyIGJlIHRyZWF0ZWQgYXMgc3VjaC4gQnV0IHRvIGRpc21pc3MgaXQg c3VtbWFyaWx5IG9uIHRoZSBiYXNpcyBvZiAxOTYw4oCZcyBjcml0aWNpc20gb2YgcmVwZXRpdGl2 ZSBkcmlsbCBpcyBhIHRlcnJpYmxlIG1pc3Rha2UuDQo8bzpwPjwvbzpwPjwvc3Bhbj48L3A+DQo8 cCBjbGFzcz0iTXNvTm9ybWFsIj48c3BhbiBzdHlsZT0iZm9udC1zaXplOjExLjBwdDtmb250LWZh bWlseTomcXVvdDtDYWxpYnJpJnF1b3Q7LCZxdW90O3NhbnMtc2VyaWYmcXVvdDs7Y29sb3I6IzFG NDk3RCI+Jm5ic3A7Jm5ic3A7Jm5ic3A7Jm5ic3A7VGhlIHdyaXRlcuKAmXMgdGFzayBpcyB0byBy ZXZlYWwgYSBzdWJqZWN0LCBub3Qgb2JzY3VyZSBpdC4gVGhlIHdyaXRlciBzZWVtcyBpbnRlbnQg b24gc3VwcG9ydGluZyB0aGUgcGFydHkgbGluZS4NCjxvOnA+PC9vOnA+PC9zcGFuPjwvcD4NCjxw IGNsYXNzPSJNc29Ob3JtYWwiPjxzcGFuIHN0eWxlPSJmb250LXNpemU6MTEuMHB0O2ZvbnQtZmFt aWx5OiZxdW90O0NhbGlicmkmcXVvdDssJnF1b3Q7c2Fucy1zZXJpZiZxdW90Oztjb2xvcjojMUY0 OTdEIj48bzpwPiZuYnNwOzwvbzpwPjwvc3Bhbj48L3A+DQo8cCBjbGFzcz0iTXNvTm9ybWFsIj48 c3BhbiBzdHlsZT0iZm9udC1zaXplOjExLjBwdDtmb250LWZhbWlseTomcXVvdDtDYWxpYnJpJnF1 b3Q7LCZxdW90O3NhbnMtc2VyaWYmcXVvdDs7Y29sb3I6IzFGNDk3RCI+Q3JhaWc8bzpwPjwvbzpw Pjwvc3Bhbj48L3A+DQo8cCBjbGFzcz0iTXNvTm9ybWFsIj48c3BhbiBzdHlsZT0iZm9udC1zaXpl OjExLjBwdDtmb250LWZhbWlseTomcXVvdDtDYWxpYnJpJnF1b3Q7LCZxdW90O3NhbnMtc2VyaWYm cXVvdDs7Y29sb3I6IzFGNDk3RCI+PG86cD4mbmJzcDs8L286cD48L3NwYW4+PC9wPg0KPHAgY2xh c3M9Ik1zb05vcm1hbCI+PGI+PHNwYW4gc3R5bGU9ImZvbnQtc2l6ZToxMC4wcHQ7Zm9udC1mYW1p bHk6JnF1b3Q7VGFob21hJnF1b3Q7LCZxdW90O3NhbnMtc2VyaWYmcXVvdDsiPkZyb206PC9zcGFu PjwvYj48c3BhbiBzdHlsZT0iZm9udC1zaXplOjEwLjBwdDtmb250LWZhbWlseTomcXVvdDtUYWhv bWEmcXVvdDssJnF1b3Q7c2Fucy1zZXJpZiZxdW90OyI+IEFzc2VtYmx5IGZvciB0aGUgVGVhY2hp bmcgb2YgRW5nbGlzaCBHcmFtbWFyIFttYWlsdG86QVRFR0BMSVNUU0VSVi5NSUFNSU9ILkVEVV0N CjxiPk9uIEJlaGFsZiBPZiA8L2I+SmVhbiBXYWxkbWFuPGJyPg0KPGI+U2VudDo8L2I+IFdlZG5l c2RheSwgQXVndXN0IDI3LCAyMDE0IDExOjM0IEFNPGJyPg0KPGI+VG86PC9iPiBBVEVHQExJU1RT RVJWLk1JQU1JT0guRURVPGJyPg0KPGI+U3ViamVjdDo8L2I+IFJlOiBOQ1RFLUZZSTxvOnA+PC9v OnA+PC9zcGFuPjwvcD4NCjxwIGNsYXNzPSJNc29Ob3JtYWwiPjxvOnA+Jm5ic3A7PC9vOnA+PC9w Pg0KPGRpdj4NCjxwIGNsYXNzPSJNc29Ob3JtYWwiPlRoZSB0cm91YmxlIHdpdGggYXJ0aWNsZXMg bGlrZSB0aGlzIGlzIHRoZXkgbmV2ZXIgbWVudGlvbiBwaHJhc2Ugc3RydWN0dXJlIHRyZWVzLiZu YnNwOyBUaGV5IHRhbGsgYXMgaWYgdGhlcmUgaXMgb25seSBvbmUgd2F5IHRvIG1ha2UgYSBnZW9t ZXRyaWMgZGlhZ3JhbSBvZiBhIHNlbnRlbmNlLiZuYnNwOyBJdCBtaWdodCBiZSBhbiBlbmxpZ2h0 ZW5pbmcgZXhlcmNpc2UgdG8gaGF2ZSBzdHVkZW50cyBpbnZlbnQgbmV3IHdheXMgdG8NCiBzaG93 IHRoZSByZWxhdGlvbnNoaXBzIGJldHdlZW4gdGhlIHdvcmRzIGluIGEgc2VudGVuY2UuJm5ic3A7 IEhhdmluZyB0aGVtIHVzZSBSZWVkLUtlbGxvZyBvciBwaHJhc2Ugc3RydWN0dXJlIGRpYWdyYW1z IGFuZCB0aGVuIGdyYWRpbmcgdGhlbSBvbiByaWdodCBvciB3cm9uZyBpcyBkaXNjb3VyYWdpbmcg Zm9yIHRoZSBzdHVkZW50cy4gJm5ic3A7DQo8bzpwPjwvbzpwPjwvcD4NCjwvZGl2Pg0KPGRpdj4N CjxwIGNsYXNzPSJNc29Ob3JtYWwiIHN0eWxlPSJtYXJnaW4tYm90dG9tOjEyLjBwdCI+PG86cD4m bmJzcDs8L286cD48L3A+DQo8ZGl2Pg0KPHAgY2xhc3M9Ik1zb05vcm1hbCI+T24gVHVlLCBBdWcg MjYsIDIwMTQgYXQgNzoyNiBQTSwgR2VvZmZyZXkgTGF5dG9uICZsdDs8YSBocmVmPSJtYWlsdG86 d3JpdGVyZ3dsQGhvdG1haWwuY29tIiB0YXJnZXQ9Il9ibGFuayI+d3JpdGVyZ3dsQGhvdG1haWwu Y29tPC9hPiZndDsgd3JvdGU6PG86cD48L286cD48L3A+DQo8ZGl2Pg0KPGRpdj4NCjxwIGNsYXNz PSJNc29Ob3JtYWwiIHN0eWxlPSJtYXJnaW4tYm90dG9tOjEyLjBwdCI+TkNURSBqdXN0IHBvc3Rl ZCB0aGlzIGxpbmsgb24gaXRzIEZhY2Vib29rIHBhZ2UgLSB3YXRjaGEnbGwgdGhpbms/PGJyPg0K PGJyPg0KPGEgaHJlZj0iaHR0cDovL3d3dy5ucHIub3JnL2Jsb2dzL2VkLzIwMTQvMDgvMjIvMzQx ODk4OTc1L2EtcGljdHVyZS1vZi1sYW5ndWFnZS10aGUtZmFkaW5nLWFydC1vZi1kaWFncmFtbWlu Zy1zZW50ZW5jZXMiIHRhcmdldD0iX2JsYW5rIj5odHRwOi8vd3d3Lm5wci5vcmcvYmxvZ3MvZWQv MjAxNC8wOC8yMi8zNDE4OTg5NzUvYS1waWN0dXJlLW9mLWxhbmd1YWdlLXRoZS1mYWRpbmctYXJ0 LW9mLWRpYWdyYW1taW5nLXNlbnRlbmNlczwvYT48bzpwPjwvbzpwPjwvcD4NCjwvZGl2Pg0KPC9k aXY+DQo8cCBjbGFzcz0iTXNvTm9ybWFsIj5UbyBqb2luIG9yIGxlYXZlIHRoaXMgTElTVFNFUlYg bGlzdCwgcGxlYXNlIHZpc2l0IHRoZSBsaXN0J3Mgd2ViIGludGVyZmFjZSBhdDoNCjxhIGhyZWY9 Imh0dHA6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5tdW9oaW8uZWR1L2FyY2hpdmVzL2F0ZWcuaHRtbCIgdGFyZ2V0PSJf YmxhbmsiPmh0dHA6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5tdW9oaW8uZWR1L2FyY2hpdmVzL2F0ZWcuaHRtbDwvYT4g YW5kIHNlbGVjdCAmcXVvdDtKb2luIG9yIGxlYXZlIHRoZSBsaXN0JnF1b3Q7DQo8bzpwPjwvbzpw PjwvcD4NCjxwPlZpc2l0IEFURUcncyB3ZWIgc2l0ZSBhdCA8YSBocmVmPSJodHRwOi8vYXRlZy5v cmcvIiB0YXJnZXQ9Il9ibGFuayI+aHR0cDovL2F0ZWcub3JnLzwvYT4NCjxvOnA+PC9vOnA+PC9w Pg0KPC9kaXY+DQo8cCBjbGFzcz0iTXNvTm9ybWFsIj48bzpwPiZuYnNwOzwvbzpwPjwvcD4NCjwv ZGl2Pg0KPHAgY2xhc3M9Ik1zb05vcm1hbCI+VG8gam9pbiBvciBsZWF2ZSB0aGlzIExJU1RTRVJW IGxpc3QsIHBsZWFzZSB2aXNpdCB0aGUgbGlzdCdzIHdlYiBpbnRlcmZhY2UgYXQ6DQo8YSBocmVm PSJodHRwOi8vbGlzdHNlcnYubXVvaGlvLmVkdS9hcmNoaXZlcy9hdGVnLmh0bWwiIHRhcmdldD0i X2JsYW5rIj5odHRwOi8vbGlzdHNlcnYubXVvaGlvLmVkdS9hcmNoaXZlcy9hdGVnLmh0bWw8L2E+ IGFuZCBzZWxlY3QgJnF1b3Q7Sm9pbiBvciBsZWF2ZSB0aGUgbGlzdCZxdW90Ow0KPG86cD48L286 cD48L3A+DQo8cD5WaXNpdCBBVEVHJ3Mgd2ViIHNpdGUgYXQgPGEgaHJlZj0iaHR0cDovL2F0ZWcu b3JnLyIgdGFyZ2V0PSJfYmxhbmsiPmh0dHA6Ly9hdGVnLm9yZy88L2E+DQo8bzpwPjwvbzpwPjwv cD4NCjwvZGl2Pg0KPC9ib2R5Pg0KPC9odG1sPg0KVG8gam9pbiBvciBsZWF2ZSB0aGlzIExJU1RT RVJWIGxpc3QsIHBsZWFzZSB2aXNpdCB0aGUgbGlzdCdzIHdlYiBpbnRlcmZhY2UgYXQ6DQogICAg IDxhIGhyZWY9Imh0dHA6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5tdW9oaW8uZWR1L2FyY2hpdmVzL2F0ZWcuaHRtbCIg dGFyZ2V0PSJfYmxhbmsiPmh0dHA6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5tdW9oaW8uZWR1L2FyY2hpdmVzL2F0ZWcu aHRtbDwvYT4NCmFuZCBzZWxlY3QgJnF1b3Q7Sm9pbiBvciBsZWF2ZSB0aGUgbGlzdCZxdW90Ow0K PHA+DQpWaXNpdCBBVEVHJ3Mgd2ViIHNpdGUgYXQgPGEgaHJlZj0iaHR0cDovL2F0ZWcub3JnLyIg dGFyZ2V0PSJfYmxhbmsiPmh0dHA6Ly9hdGVnLm9yZy88L2E+DQo--_000_a00c8fd252254b74aacbf3c23f162570BN1PR04MB488namprd04pro_-- ========================================================================Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 16:34:44 +0000 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Beth Young <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_55FC7F9CBCF2B44E97E2F3FB9EDB913455643648NET5011netucfed_" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_000_55FC7F9CBCF2B44E97E2F3FB9EDB913455643648NET5011netucfed_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I dunno, grading students on right/wrong for ANYTHING can be discouraging for the students. I used to teach R-K diagramming in my grammar class, partly because some of my students (some future K12 teachers) would need to know them, partly because the textbook used them, partly because some students really liked them and seemed to learn from them. The assignments were for extra credit. One extra credit assignment asked students to create a new way to diagram that used the colors, fonts, etc. that we all have now in our word processors, which (when students put thought into it) was fun to see. Now, there is a website that will make R-K diagrams for you. http://1aiway.com/nlp4net/services/enparser/ The diagrams are often wrong, but when the site went live, I found I was getting many more extra credit submissions to grade, and curiously many of them were exactly the same kind of weird wrong that the online diagrammer produced. That tipped the benefit ratio way too far into the negative, so I don't do this anymore. Some students ask about R-K diagrams and I am happy to teach them when asked, but that's it. Beth Dr. Beth Rapp Young Associate Professor, English [log in to unmask] University of Central Florida "Reach for the Stars" ________________________________ From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Jean Waldman [[log in to unmask]] Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:33 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI The trouble with articles like this is they never mention phrase structure trees. They talk as if there is only one way to make a geometric diagram of a sentence. It might be an enlightening exercise to have students invent new ways to show the relationships between the words in a sentence. Having them use Reed-Kellog or phrase structure diagrams and then grading them on right or wrong is discouraging for the students. On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]> wrote: NCTE just posted this link on its Facebook page - watcha'll think? http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/08/22/341898975/a-picture-of-language-the-fading-art-of-diagramming-sentences To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_000_55FC7F9CBCF2B44E97E2F3FB9EDB913455643648NET5011netucfed_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_000_161f3cf6f9944b1ca15966b77a2f8ec3BN1PR04MB488namprd04pro_-- ========================================================================Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 11:11:55 -0700 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v753.1) Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=Apple-Mail-2--788297497 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --Apple-Mail-2--788297497 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; delsp=yes; format=flowed Jean, I agree that our job as teachers is to engage students in the process of analysis. If syntax is an ex post facto phenomenon resulting from how words relate to each other in a particular sentence, the answers given by students or, even, the teacher may be less important than the implicit question being addressed: What meaning is captured by this arrangement of words? Students willing to explore and consider different interpretations should be rewarded for their efforts, not for their "right" answers. Gregg On Aug 27, 2014, at 8:33 AM, Jean Waldman wrote: > The trouble with articles like this is they never mention phrase > structure trees. They talk as if there is only one way to make a > geometric diagram of a sentence. It might be an enlightening > exercise to have students invent new ways to show the relationships > between the words in a sentence. Having them use Reed-Kellog or > phrase structure diagrams and then grading them on right or wrong > is discouraging for the students. > > > On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Geoffrey Layton > <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > NCTE just posted this link on its Facebook page - watcha'll think? > > http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/08/22/341898975/a-picture-of- > language-the-fading-art-of-diagramming-sentences > > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web > interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and > select "Join or leave the list" > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ > > > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web > interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and > select "Join or leave the list" > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --Apple-Mail-2--788297497 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/html; charset=US-ASCII

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --Apple-Mail-2--788297497-- ========================================================================Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:31:56 +0300 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: M C Johnstone <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_----------=_140916431641893371"; charset="utf-8" Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --_----------=_140916431641893371 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: text/plain Beth, If many machine generated R-K diagrams are wrong, then perhaps an alternative approach would be to give students wrong ones from the site and ask them to explain or comment on the error. Of course, you don't tell them what the error is, and as someone else notes below, there may be more than one way to skin an R-K cat. Mark On Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 07:34 PM, Beth Young wrote: I dunno, grading students on right/wrong for ANYTHING can be discouraging for the students. I used to teach R-K diagramming in my grammar class, partly because some of my students (some future K12 teachers) would need to know them, partly because the textbook used them, partly because some students really liked them and seemed to learn from them. The assignments were for extra credit. One extra credit assignment asked students to create a new way to diagram that used the colors, fonts, etc. that we all have now in our word processors, which (when students put thought into it) was fun to see. Now, there is a website that will make R-K diagrams for you. [1]http://1aiway.com/nlp4net/services/enparser/ The diagrams are often wrong, but when the site went live, I found I was getting many more extra credit submissions to grade, and curiously many of them were exactly the same kind of weird wrong that the online diagrammer produced. That tipped the benefit ratio way too far into the negative, so I don't do this anymore. Some students ask about R-K diagrams and I am happy to teach them when asked, but that's it. Beth Dr. Beth Rapp Young Associate Professor, English [log in to unmask] University of Central Florida "Reach for the Stars" __________________________________________________________ From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Jean Waldman [[log in to unmask]] Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:33 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI The trouble with articles like this is they never mention phrase structure trees. They talk as if there is only one way to make a geometric diagram of a sentence. It might be an enlightening exercise to have students invent new ways to show the relationships between the words in a sentence. Having them use Reed-Kellog or phrase structure diagrams and then grading them on right or wrong is discouraging for the students. On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Geoffrey Layton <[2][log in to unmask]> wrote: NCTE just posted this link on its Facebook page - watcha'll think? [3]http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/08/22/341898975/a-picture-o f-language-the-fading-art-of-diagramming-sentences To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: [4]http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at [5]http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: [6]http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at [7]http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: [8]http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at [9]http://ateg.org/ -- [log in to unmask] References 1. http://1aiway.com/nlp4net/services/enparser/ 2. mailto:[log in to unmask] 3. http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/08/22/341898975/a-picture-of-language-the-fading-art-of-diagramming-sentences 4. http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html 5. http://ateg.org/ 6. http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html 7. http://ateg.org/ 8. http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html 9. http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_----------=_140916431641893371 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Type: text/html

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_----------=_140916431641893371-- ========================================================================Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:41:06 +0000 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Beth Young <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_55FC7F9CBCF2B44E97E2F3FB9EDB9134556438B7NET5011netucfed_" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_000_55FC7F9CBCF2B44E97E2F3FB9EDB9134556438B7NET5011netucfed_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Mark, you're right, asking students to comment on incorrect diagrams could work very well. The machine errors are not alternate but plausible interpretations of the sentences, at least not to any actual English speaker. They are just weird. Unfortunately, I can't give you examples because I don't have the old diagrams saved and the diagrammer doesn't work on my new Windows 8.1 OS. If you can get it to diagram for you, you'll see that for some sentences it produces multiple potential diagrams that you can cycle through. I have seen it give 10+ possibilities. It would be tough to come up with a sentence short enough for the software that has 10+ different plausible syntactic interpretations. Beth Dr. Beth Rapp Young Associate Professor, English [log in to unmask] University of Central Florida "Reach for the Stars" ________________________________ From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of M C Johnstone [[log in to unmask]] Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:31 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI Beth, If many machine generated R-K diagrams are wrong, then perhaps an alternative approach would be to give students wrong ones from the site and ask them to explain or comment on the error. Of course, you don't tell them what the error is, and as someone else notes below, there may be more than one way to skin an R-K cat. Mark On Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 07:34 PM, Beth Young wrote: I dunno, grading students on right/wrong for ANYTHING can be discouraging for the students. I used to teach R-K diagramming in my grammar class, partly because some of my students (some future K12 teachers) would need to know them, partly because the textbook used them, partly because some students really liked them and seemed to learn from them. The assignments were for extra credit. One extra credit assignment asked students to create a new way to diagram that used the colors, fonts, etc. that we all have now in our word processors, which (when students put thought into it) was fun to see. Now, there is a website that will make R-K diagrams for you. http://1aiway.com/nlp4net/services/enparser/ The diagrams are often wrong, but when the site went live, I found I was getting many more extra credit submissions to grade, and curiously many of them were exactly the same kind of weird wrong that the online diagrammer produced. That tipped the benefit ratio way too far into the negative, so I don't do this anymore. Some students ask about R-K diagrams and I am happy to teach them when asked, but that's it. Beth Dr. Beth Rapp Young Associate Professor, English [log in to unmask] University of Central Florida "Reach for the Stars" ________________________________ From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Jean Waldman [[log in to unmask]] Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:33 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI The trouble with articles like this is they never mention phrase structure trees. They talk as if there is only one way to make a geometric diagram of a sentence. It might be an enlightening exercise to have students invent new ways to show the relationships between the words in a sentence. Having them use Reed-Kellog or phrase structure diagrams and then grading them on right or wrong is discouraging for the students. On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]> wrote: NCTE just posted this link on its Facebook page - watcha'll think? http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/08/22/341898975/a-picture-of-language-the-fading-art-of-diagramming-sentences To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ -- [log in to unmask] To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_000_55FC7F9CBCF2B44E97E2F3FB9EDB9134556438B7NET5011netucfed_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_000_55FC7F9CBCF2B44E97E2F3FB9EDB9134556438B7NET5011netucfed_-- ========================================================================Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:42:52 +0000 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Beth Young <[log in to unmask]> Subject: online diagrammer (was RE: NCTE-FYI) In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_55FC7F9CBCF2B44E97E2F3FB9EDB913455643F1CNET5011netucfed_" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_000_55FC7F9CBCF2B44E97E2F3FB9EDB913455643F1CNET5011netucfed_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Here at my office (different OS), I tried a few sentences and the diagrammer appears to have learned a lot in the last few years. Although some sentences give multiple diagrams (e.g., http://1aiway.com/nlp4net/services/enparser/default.aspx?text=On%20Halloween%20night%20the%20neighborhood%20children%20rang%20every%20doorbell%20on%20the%20block%20to%20fill%20their%20bags%20with%20goodies. ) the differences are less dramatic/more plausible. A possible variation on the assignment Mark suggested could be to send students to the diagrammer with a sentence that produces multiple diagrams and ask them to comment on which, if any, of the diagrams are acceptable, why/why not, and maybe why might the site be producing multiple diagrams for that particular sentence in the first place. For example, some of the differences relate to whether a prepositional phrase is adverbial or adjectival. Students would need to know RK diagrams reasonably well in order to do that, however. Beth Dr. Beth Rapp Young Associate Professor, English [log in to unmask] U of Central Florida, Orlando "Reach for the Stars" From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Beth Young Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:41 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI Mark, you're right, asking students to comment on incorrect diagrams could work very well. The machine errors are not alternate but plausible interpretations of the sentences, at least not to any actual English speaker. They are just weird. Unfortunately, I can't give you examples because I don't have the old diagrams saved and the diagrammer doesn't work on my new Windows 8.1 OS. If you can get it to diagram for you, you'll see that for some sentences it produces multiple potential diagrams that you can cycle through. I have seen it give 10+ possibilities. It would be tough to come up with a sentence short enough for the software that has 10+ different plausible syntactic interpretations. Beth Dr. Beth Rapp Young Associate Professor, English [log in to unmask] University of Central Florida "Reach for the Stars" ________________________________ From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of M C Johnstone [[log in to unmask]] Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:31 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI Beth, If many machine generated R-K diagrams are wrong, then perhaps an alternative approach would be to give students wrong ones from the site and ask them to explain or comment on the error. Of course, you don't tell them what the error is, and as someone else notes below, there may be more than one way to skin an R-K cat. Mark On Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 07:34 PM, Beth Young wrote: I dunno, grading students on right/wrong for ANYTHING can be discouraging for the students. I used to teach R-K diagramming in my grammar class, partly because some of my students (some future K12 teachers) would need to know them, partly because the textbook used them, partly because some students really liked them and seemed to learn from them. The assignments were for extra credit. One extra credit assignment asked students to create a new way to diagram that used the colors, fonts, etc. that we all have now in our word processors, which (when students put thought into it) was fun to see. Now, there is a website that will make R-K diagrams for you. http://1aiway.com/nlp4net/services/enparser/ The diagrams are often wrong, but when the site went live, I found I was getting many more extra credit submissions to grade, and curiously many of them were exactly the same kind of weird wrong that the online diagrammer produced. That tipped the benefit ratio way too far into the negative, so I don't do this anymore. Some students ask about R-K diagrams and I am happy to teach them when asked, but that's it. Beth Dr. Beth Rapp Young Associate Professor, English [log in to unmask] University of Central Florida "Reach for the Stars" ________________________________ From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Jean Waldman [[log in to unmask]] Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:33 AM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI The trouble with articles like this is they never mention phrase structure trees. They talk as if there is only one way to make a geometric diagram of a sentence. It might be an enlightening exercise to have students invent new ways to show the relationships between the words in a sentence. Having them use Reed-Kellog or phrase structure diagrams and then grading them on right or wrong is discouraging for the students. On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]> wrote: NCTE just posted this link on its Facebook page - watcha'll think? http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/08/22/341898975/a-picture-of-language-the-fading-art-of-diagramming-sentences To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ -- [log in to unmask] To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_000_55FC7F9CBCF2B44E97E2F3FB9EDB913455643F1CNET5011netucfed_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_000_55FC7F9CBCF2B44E97E2F3FB9EDB913455643F1CNET5011netucfed_-- ========================================================================Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:25:50 -0400 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Linda Di Desidero <[log in to unmask]> Subject: College English Association March 2015 Join us in Indianapolis! MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary9e013a23e48f67fa0501b4aaf2 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --089e013a23e48f67fa0501b4aaf2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi everyone. I hope you will consider joining us in Indianapolis in March at the College English Association's annual meeting, where we had a very successful ATEG Panel last year. In fact, this year's program chair has agreed to add a Grammar and Linguistics thread to the program, so I hope we will see a number of valuable proposals in this area. (You may not see Grammar/ Linguistics on the Topics menu yet, so be sure to note the topic on your proposal.) College English Association is one of the friendliest and least political of the national professional organizations. The meetings always promise a good time with interesting colleagues, so I hope you will join us in Indianapolis next March. For those of you who would like to put together an ATEG panel again, let's do it! (Maybe we'll propose two or three panels for next year.) Here's the invitation from the Executive Director below. Let's see ATEG as a regular feature at CEA! Best-- Linda 2015 Conference CFP and Invitation Letter August 15, 2014 The Officers and Board of Directors of the College English Association invite you to join us for the 46th Annual Conference of the College English Association at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis Hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana. (One South Capitol Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204; Phone: 317-632-1234; Fax: 317-616-6299; www.indianapolis.hyatt.com), March 26-28, 2015. The Conference Theme: Imaginations We live in an age when news travels at lightning speed. This is mostly a good thing. Long before our local evening news sports reporter tells us how many points our favorite player scored in the game, all we have to do is go to our smart phones, click on the sports app of our choice, and then find the link that tells us the scores of the day. We can even watch highlights of the game if want to on our smart phones, thus, momentarily eliminating the need to go home after work to watch the highlights on our televisions screens. If we are political junkies, we can also go to our smart phones and read about national or global politics or watch live coverage of congressional hearings right in the comfort of our homes. If we are addicted to celebrity culture, we can go to websites dedicated to revealing the good and not so good choices of our favorite stars, oftentimes, soon after a good or bad incident has occurred. The bad part about news traveling at lightning speed, though, is that it does not give us opportunities to daydream, think quietly, or to sit in silence. The fact that news is just a few clicks away or on television all day denies us chances to use our imaginations these days. Imagining who we are or who we want to be is part of the human experience, but increasingly our human experience is competing with media that wants to do the imagining for us. Since news is so instantaneous, it is almost impossible to escape its tentacles. For our 2015 meeting, CEA invites papers and panels that will ask all of us to momentarily put away our smart phones, laptops, tablets, etc., so that we can refocus our energies on the wonders of our imaginations to consider the following questions: In what ways can we encourage our institutions, colleagues, students, and even ourselves to find meaning in using our imaginations for self-reflection and creative output? And how can we use those introspective moments, broadly speaking, to help us to become better teachers? (For suggestions, please see the attached Call for Papers.) The CEA serves the scholar-teacher dedicated to bringing his or her own scholarly and critical perspectives into the classroom for the benefit of students. For more information about CEA, please check our web site < http://cea-web.org/ >. For program scheduling queries, contact *Coretta Pittman, CEA 2015 Program Chair*, Baylor University, English Dept., One Bear Place # 97406, Carroll Science Building, Room # 106, Waco, Texas 76798 and by e-mail: [log in to unmask] (please enter “Program Chair†in the subject line). For information on our online submission page, please see our web site at < http://cea-web.org/ >. For general conference information, contact Juliet A. Emanuel, CEA Executive Director (see address, phone number, and e-mail address below); or Steve Brahlek, CEA President, Department of English, Palm Beach State College, 4200 Congress Ave., Lake Worth, FL 33461 and by e-mail: [log in to unmask] Juliet A. Emanuel Executive Director, CEA Department of Developmental Skills, N499L BMCC/CUNY 199 Chambers St. New York, NY 10007 Telephone: (212) 220-1406 Fax: (718) 783 3317 E-mail: [log in to unmask] Thank you. Linda Di Desidero, PhD Director, Leadership Communication Skills Center Marine Corps University Gray Research Center, Room 122 Quantico, Virginia 22134 703-784-4401 To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --089e013a23e48f67fa0501b4aaf2 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --089e013a23e48f67fa0501b4aaf2-- ========================================================================Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:00:27 -0500 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Seth Katz <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: College English Association March 2015 Join us in Indianapolis! In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary9e011613f85679450501b52628 Message-ID: [log in to unmask]> --089e011613f85679450501b52628 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hey, Linda (and everyone)-- I would like to second your sentiment. The CEA is a great conference, and last year, our ONE panel of grammar papers was standing room only! These folks are hungry for what we have to say, so let's give 'em more to think about! I'll be submitting something once the early semester rush abates a little. Looking forward to it! And BTW: for those who haven't been there, Indy is a lovely city: walkable downtown, interesting restaurants and shops. Recommended! Seth On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Linda Di Desidero < [log in to unmask]> wrote: > Hi everyone. > I hope you will consider joining us in Indianapolis in March at the > College English Association's annual meeting, where we had a very > successful ATEG Panel last year. In fact, this year's program chair has > agreed to add a Grammar and Linguistics thread to the program, so I hope we > will see a number of valuable proposals in this area. (You may not see > Grammar/ Linguistics on the Topics menu yet, so be sure to note the topic > on your proposal.) > > College English Association is one of the friendliest and least political > of the national professional organizations. The meetings always promise a > good time with interesting colleagues, so I hope you will join us in > Indianapolis next March. > > For those of you who would like to put together an ATEG panel again, let's > do it! (Maybe we'll propose two or three panels for next year.) > Here's the invitation from the Executive Director below. Let's see ATEG as > a regular feature at CEA! > > Best-- > Linda > > > 2015 Conference CFP and Invitation Letter > > August 15, 2014 > > > > The Officers and Board of Directors of the College English Association > invite you to join us for the 46th Annual Conference of the College English > Association at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis Hotel in Indianapolis, > Indiana. (One South Capitol Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204; Phone: > 317-632-1234; Fax: 317-616-6299; www.indianapolis.hyatt.com), March > 26-28, 2015. > > > > The Conference Theme: Imaginations > > We live in an age when news travels at lightning speed. This is mostly a > good thing. Long before our local evening news sports reporter tells us how > many points our favorite player scored in the game, all we have to do is go > to our smart phones, click on the sports app of our choice, and then find > the link that tells us the scores of the day. We can even watch highlights > of the game if want to on our smart phones, thus, momentarily eliminating > the need to go home after work to watch the highlights on our televisions > screens. > > If we are political junkies, we can also go to our smart phones and read > about national or global politics or watch live coverage of congressional > hearings right in the comfort of our homes. If we are addicted to celebrity > culture, we can go to websites dedicated to revealing the good and not so > good choices of our favorite stars, oftentimes, soon after a > > good or bad incident has occurred. The bad part about news traveling at > lightning speed, though, is that it does not give us opportunities to > daydream, think quietly, or to sit in silence. The fact that news is just a > few clicks away or on television all day denies us chances to use our > imaginations these days. Imagining who we are or who we want to be is part > of the human experience, but increasingly our human experience is competing > with media that wants to do the imagining for us. Since news is so > instantaneous, it is almost impossible to escape its tentacles. For our > 2015 meeting, CEA invites papers and panels that will ask all of us to > momentarily put away our smart phones, laptops, tablets, etc., so that we > can refocus our energies on the wonders of our imaginations to consider the > following questions: In what ways can we encourage our institutions, > colleagues, students, and even ourselves to find meaning in using our > imaginations for self-reflection and creative output? And how can we use > those introspective moments, broadly speaking, to help us to become better > teachers? (For suggestions, please see the attached Call for Papers.) > > > > The CEA serves the scholar-teacher dedicated to bringing his or her own > scholarly and critical perspectives into the classroom for the benefit of > students. For more information about CEA, please check our web site < > http://cea-web.org/ > > >. > > > > For program scheduling queries, contact *Coretta Pittman, CEA 2015 > Program Chair*, Baylor University, English Dept., One Bear Place # > 97406, Carroll Science Building, Room # 106, Waco, Texas 76798 and by > e-mail: [log in to unmask] (please enter “Program Chair†in the > subject line). > > > > For information on our online submission page, please see our web site at < > http://cea-web.org/ > > >. > > > > For general conference information, contact Juliet A. Emanuel, CEA > Executive Director (see address, phone number, and e-mail address below); > or Steve Brahlek, CEA President, Department of English, Palm Beach State > College, 4200 Congress Ave., Lake Worth, FL 33461 and by e-mail: > [log in to unmask] > > > > Juliet A. Emanuel > > Executive Director, CEA > > Department of Developmental Skills, N499L > > BMCC/CUNY > > 199 Chambers St. > > New York, NY 10007 > > Telephone: (212) 220-1406 > > Fax: (718) 783 3317 > > E-mail: [log in to unmask] > > > > Thank you. > > > > > > Linda Di Desidero, PhD > > Director, Leadership Communication Skills Center > > Marine Corps University > > Gray Research Center, Room 122 > > Quantico, Virginia 22134 > > 703-784-4401 > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web > interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select > "Join or leave the list" > > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ > -- *Dr. Seth Katz* *Assistant Professor* *Department of English* *Bradley University* *Peoria, IL 61625* *Executive Director / Faculty Advisor* *Bradley University Hillel* To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --089e011613f85679450501b52628 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

--
Dr. Seth Katz
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Bradley University
Peoria, IL  61625

Executive Director / Faculty Advisor
Bradley University Hillel

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --089e011613f85679450501b52628-- ========================================================================Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:41:44 -0500 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: College English Association March 2015 Join us in Indianapolis! In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_331990d3-0e42-460a-8b46-5f5c96e61343_" MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --_331990d3-0e42-460a-8b46-5f5c96e61343_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Count me in! Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:25:50 -0400 From: [log in to unmask] Subject: College English Association March 2015 Join us in Indianapolis! To: [log in to unmask] Hi everyone.I hope you will consider joining us in Indianapolis in March at the College English Association's annual meeting, where we had a very successful ATEG Panel last year. In fact, this year's program chair has agreed to add a Grammar and Linguistics thread to the program, so I hope we will see a number of valuable proposals in this area. (You may not see Grammar/ Linguistics on the Topics menu yet, so be sure to note the topic on your proposal.) College English Association is one of the friendliest and least political of the national professional organizations. The meetings always promise a good time with interesting colleagues, so I hope you will join us in Indianapolis next March. For those of you who would like to put together an ATEG panel again, let's do it! (Maybe we'll propose two or three panels for next year.) Here's the invitation from the Executive Director below. Let's see ATEG as a regular feature at CEA! Best--Linda 2015 Conference CFP and Invitation Letter August 15, 2014 The Officers and Board of Directors of the College English Association invite you to join us for the 46th Annual Conference of the College English Association at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis Hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana. (One South Capitol Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204; Phone: 317-632-1234; Fax: 317-616-6299; www.indianapolis.hyatt.com), March 26-28, 2015. The Conference Theme: Imaginations We live in an age when news travels at lightning speed. This is mostly a good thing. Long before our local evening news sports reporter tells us how many points our favorite player scored in the game, all we have to do is go to our smart phones, click on the sports app of our choice, and then find the link that tells us the scores of the day. We can even watch highlights of the game if want to on our smart phones, thus, momentarily eliminating the need to go home after work to watch the highlights on our televisions screens. If we are political junkies, we can also go to our smart phones and read about national or global politics or watch live coverage of congressional hearings right in the comfort of our homes. If we are addicted to celebrity culture, we can go to websites dedicated to revealing the good and not so good choices of our favorite stars, oftentimes, soon after a good or bad incident has occurred. The bad part about news traveling at lightning speed, though, is that it does not give us opportunities to daydream, think quietly, or to sit in silence. The fact that news is just a few clicks away or on television all day denies us chances to use our imaginations these days. Imagining who we are or who we want to be is part of the human experience, but increasingly our human experience is competing with media that wants to do the imagining for us. Since news is so instantaneous, it is almost impossible to escape its tentacles. For our 2015 meeting, CEA invites papers and panels that will ask all of us to momentarily put away our smart phones, laptops, tablets, etc., so that we can refocus our energies on the wonders of our imaginations to consider the following questions: In what ways can we encourage our institutions, colleagues, students, and even ourselves to find meaning in using our imaginations for self-reflection and creative output? And how can we use those introspective moments, broadly speaking, to help us to become better teachers? (For suggestions, please see the attached Call for Papers.) The CEA serves the scholar-teacher dedicated to bringing his or her own scholarly and critical perspectives into the classroom for the benefit of students. For more information about CEA, please check our web site . For program scheduling queries, contact Coretta Pittman, CEA 2015 Program Chair, Baylor University, English Dept., One Bear Place # 97406, Carroll Science Building, Room # 106, Waco, Texas 76798 and by e-mail: [log in to unmask] (please enter “Program Chair” in the subject line). For information on our online submission page, please see our web site at . For general conference information, contact Juliet A. Emanuel, CEA Executive Director (see address, phone number, and e-mail address below); or Steve Brahlek, CEA President, Department of English, Palm Beach State College, 4200 Congress Ave., Lake Worth, FL 33461 and by e-mail: [log in to unmask] Juliet A. Emanuel Executive Director, CEA Department of Developmental Skills, N499L BMCC/CUNY199 Chambers St. New York, NY 10007 Telephone: (212) 220-1406 Fax: (718) 783 3317 E-mail: [log in to unmask] Thank you. Linda Di Desidero, PhDDirector, Leadership Communication Skills Center Marine Corps University Gray Research Center, Room 122Quantico, Virginia 22134 703-784-4401 To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_331990d3-0e42-460a-8b46-5f5c96e61343_ Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Count me in!

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:25:50 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: College English Association March 2015 Join us in Indianapolis!
To: [log in to unmask]

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --_331990d3-0e42-460a-8b46-5f5c96e61343_-- ========================================================================Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:42:04 -0700 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: College English Association March 2015 Join us in Indianapolis! In-Reply-To: [log in to unmask]> Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v753.1) Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=Apple-Mail-1--682088095 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> --Apple-Mail-1--682088095 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset=WINDOWS-1252; delsp=yes; format=flowed Hello Linda, Seth, Geoffrey, and others yet to reply, I grew up in Speedway, Indiana, and am pleased to hear that Indianapolis gets such good reviews. I am very much looking forward to making a presentation and hope that we and others might see whether there is a confluence in our various approaches that might help us consider grouping together according to the focus each of us has. Glad you are all eager, Gregg On Aug 28, 2014, at 12:00 PM, Seth Katz wrote: > Hey, Linda (and everyone)-- > > I would like to second your sentiment. The CEA is a great > conference, and last year, our ONE panel of grammar papers was > standing room only! These folks are hungry for what we have to > say, so let's give 'em more to think about! > > I'll be submitting something once the early semester rush abates a > little. Looking forward to it! > > And BTW: for those who haven't been there, Indy is a lovely city: > walkable downtown, interesting restaurants and shops. Recommended! > > Seth > > > On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Linda Di Desidero > <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Hi everyone. > I hope you will consider joining us in Indianapolis in March at the > College English Association's annual meeting, where we had a very > successful ATEG Panel last year. In fact, this year's program chair > has agreed to add a Grammar and Linguistics thread to the program, > so I hope we will see a number of valuable proposals in this area. > (You may not see Grammar/ Linguistics on the Topics menu yet, so be > sure to note the topic on your proposal.) > > College English Association is one of the friendliest and least > political of the national professional organizations. The meetings > always promise a good time with interesting colleagues, so I hope > you will join us in Indianapolis next March. > > For those of you who would like to put together an ATEG panel > again, let's do it! (Maybe we'll propose two or three panels for > next year.) > Here's the invitation from the Executive Director below. Let's see > ATEG as a regular feature at CEA! > > Best-- > Linda > > 2015 Conference CFP and Invitation Letter > August 15, 2014 > > The Officers and Board of Directors of the College English > Association invite you to join us for the 46th Annual Conference of > the College English Association at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis > Hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana. (One South Capitol Avenue, > Indianapolis, IN 46204; Phone: 317-632-1234; Fax: 317-616-6299; > www.indianapolis.hyatt.com), March 26-28, 2015. > > The Conference Theme: Imaginations > We live in an age when news travels at lightning speed. This is > mostly a good thing. Long before our local evening news sports > reporter tells us how many points our favorite player scored in the > game, all we have to do is go to our smart phones, click on the > sports app of our choice, and then find the link that tells us the > scores of the day. We can even watch highlights of the game if want > to on our smart phones, thus, momentarily eliminating the need to > go home after work to watch the highlights on our televisions screens. > If we are political junkies, we can also go to our smart phones and > read about national or global politics or watch live coverage of > congressional hearings right in the comfort of our homes. If we are > addicted to celebrity culture, we can go to websites dedicated to > revealing the good and not so good choices of our favorite stars, > oftentimes, soon after a > good or bad incident has occurred. The bad part about news > traveling at lightning speed, though, is that it does not give us > opportunities to daydream, think quietly, or to sit in silence. The > fact that news is just a few clicks away or on television all day > denies us chances to use our imaginations these days. Imagining who > we are or who we want to be is part of the human experience, but > increasingly our human experience is competing with media that > wants to do the imagining for us. Since news is so instantaneous, > it is almost impossible to escape its tentacles. For our 2015 > meeting, CEA invites papers and panels that will ask all of us to > momentarily put away our smart phones, laptops, tablets, etc., so > that we can refocus our energies on the wonders of our imaginations > to consider the following questions: In what ways can we encourage > our institutions, colleagues, students, and even ourselves to find > meaning in using our imaginations for self-reflection and creative > output? And how can we use those introspective moments, broadly > speaking, to help us to become better teachers? (For suggestions, > please see the attached Call for Papers.) > > The CEA serves the scholar-teacher dedicated to bringing his or her > own scholarly and critical perspectives into the classroom for the > benefit of students. For more information about CEA, please check > our web site . > > For program scheduling queries, contact Coretta Pittman, CEA 2015 > Program Chair, Baylor University, English Dept., One Bear Place # > 97406, Carroll Science Building, Room # 106, Waco, Texas 76798 and > by e-mail: [log in to unmask] (please enter “Program Chair” in > the subject line). > > For information on our online submission page, please see our web > site at . > > For general conference information, contact Juliet A. Emanuel, CEA > Executive Director (see address, phone number, and e-mail address > below); or Steve Brahlek, CEA President, Department of English, > Palm Beach State College, 4200 Congress Ave., Lake Worth, FL 33461 > and by e-mail: [log in to unmask] > > Juliet A. Emanuel > Executive Director, CEA > Department of Developmental Skills, N499L > BMCC/CUNY > 199 Chambers St. > New York, NY 10007 > Telephone: (212) 220-1406 > Fax: (718) 783 3317 > E-mail: [log in to unmask] > > Thank you. > > > Linda Di Desidero, PhD > Director, Leadership Communication Skills Center > Marine Corps University > Gray Research Center, Room 122 > Quantico, Virginia 22134 > 703-784-4401 > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web > interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and > select "Join or leave the list" > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ > > > > > -- > Dr. Seth Katz > Assistant Professor > Department of English > Bradley University > Peoria, IL 61625 > > Executive Director / Faculty Advisor > Bradley University Hillel > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web > interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and > select "Join or leave the list" > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --Apple-Mail-1--682088095 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/html; charset=WINDOWS-1252 Hello Linda, Seth, Geoffrey, and others yet to reply,

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ --Apple-Mail-1--682088095-- ========================================================================Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 02:28:53 +0000 Reply-To: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]> From: Scott Catledge <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: ATEG Digest - 25 Aug 2014 to 26 Aug 2014 (#2014-41) Comments: cc: ATEG automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> In-Reply-To: <[log in to unmask]> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Message-ID: <20140829022853.49CQV.90772.root@cdptpa-web02> Given my druthers my memorial grave stone would read Norman Wayne Scott Catledge jacit hic properly diagrammed. Scott Catledge ---- ATEG automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > There is 1 message totaling 58 lines in this issue. > > Topics of the day: > > 1. NCTE-FYI > > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: > http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html > and select "Join or leave the list" > > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 18:26:00 -0500 > From: Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]> > Subject: NCTE-FYI > > NCTE just posted this link on its Facebook page - watcha'll think? > > http://www.npr.org/blogs/ed/2014/08/22/341898975/a-picture-of-language-the-fading-art-of-diagramming-sentences > > > To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: > http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html > and select "Join or leave the list" > > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ > > ------------------------------ > > End of ATEG Digest - 25 Aug 2014 to 26 Aug 2014 (#2014-41) > ********************************************************** To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/