From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Beth Young
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: NCTE-FYI

Mark, you're right, asking students to comment on incorrect diagrams could work very well.

The machine errors are not alternate but plausible interpretations of the sentences, at least not to any actual English speaker. They are just weird.  Unfortunately, I can't give you examples because I don't have the old diagrams saved and the diagrammer doesn't work on my new Windows 8.1 OS.  If you can get it to diagram for you, you'll see that for some sentences it produces multiple potential diagrams that you can cycle through. I have seen it give 10+ possibilities. It would be tough to come up with a sentence short enough for the software that has 10+ different plausible syntactic interpretations.

Beth

Dr. Beth Rapp Young
Associate Professor, English

University of Central Florida