Hi everyone,

This is the last call for our ATEG Annual Conference to be held September 5-6 at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. We will enjoy 15 presenters, including Martha Kolln, who is giving the keynote address, and ATEG members from Korea, Utah, Florida, Colorado, Minesota, California, New York, and Maryland.  Let us know if you can come!

  Also, count me in on the College English Association Presentations in March.

      Sherry Saylors

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Di Desidero
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: College English Association March 2015 Join us in Indianapolis!

Hi everyone.

I hope you will consider joining us in Indianapolis in March at the College English Association's annual meeting, where we had a very successful ATEG Panel last year. In fact, this year's program chair has agreed to add a Grammar and Linguistics thread to the program, so I hope we will see a number of valuable proposals in this area. (You may not see Grammar/ Linguistics on the Topics menu yet, so be sure to note the topic on your proposal.)

College English Association is one of the friendliest and least political of the national professional organizations. The meetings always promise a good time with interesting colleagues, so I  hope you will join us in Indianapolis next March.

For those of you who would like to put together an ATEG panel again, let's do it! (Maybe we'll propose two or three panels for next year.)

Here's the invitation from the Executive Director below. Let's see ATEG as a regular feature at CEA!

Best--

Linda

2015 Conference CFP and Invitation Letter

August 15, 2014

The Officers and Board of Directors of the College English Association invite you to join us for the 46th Annual Conference of the College English Association at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis Hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana.  (One South Capitol Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204; Phone: 317-632-1234; Fax: 317-616-6299; www.indianapolis.hyatt.com), March 26-28, 2015.

The Conference Theme: Imaginations

We live in an age when news travels at lightning speed. This is mostly a good thing. Long before our local evening news sports reporter tells us how many points our favorite player scored in the game, all we have to do is go to our smart phones, click on the sports app of our choice, and then find the link that tells us the scores of the day. We can even watch highlights of the game if want to on our smart phones, thus, momentarily eliminating the need to go home after work to watch the highlights on our televisions screens.

If we are political junkies, we can also go to our smart phones and read about national or global politics or watch live coverage of congressional hearings right in the comfort of our homes. If we are addicted to celebrity culture, we can go to websites dedicated to revealing the good and not so good choices of our favorite stars, oftentimes, soon after a

good or bad incident has occurred. The bad part about news traveling at lightning speed, though, is that it does not give us opportunities to daydream, think quietly, or to sit in silence. The fact that news is just a few clicks away or on television all day denies us chances to use our imaginations these days. Imagining who we are or who we want to be is part of the human experience, but increasingly our human experience is competing with media that wants to do the imagining for us. Since news is so instantaneous, it is almost impossible to escape its tentacles. For our 2015 meeting, CEA invites papers and panels that will ask all of us to momentarily put away our smart phones, laptops, tablets, etc., so that we can refocus our energies on the wonders of our imaginations to consider the following questions: In what ways can we encourage our institutions, colleagues, students, and even ourselves to find meaning in using our imaginations for self-reflection and creative output? And how can we use those introspective moments, broadly speaking, to help us to become better teachers? (For suggestions, please see the attached Call for Papers.)

The CEA serves the scholar-teacher dedicated to bringing his or her own scholarly and critical perspectives into the classroom for the benefit of students. For more information about CEA, please check our web site <http://cea-web.org/>.

For program scheduling queries, contact Coretta Pittman, CEA 2015 Program Chair,  Baylor University, English Dept., One Bear Place # 97406, Carroll Science Building, Room # 106, Waco, Texas 76798 and by e-mail: [log in to unmask] (please enter “Program Chair” in the subject line).

For information on our online submission page, please see our web site at <http://cea-web.org/>.

For general conference information, contact Juliet A. Emanuel, CEA Executive Director (see address, phone number, and e-mail address below); or Steve Brahlek, CEA President, Department of English, Palm Beach State College,  4200 Congress Ave., Lake Worth, FL 33461 and by e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Juliet A. Emanuel

Executive Director, CEA

Department of Developmental Skills, N499L

BMCC/CUNY

199 Chambers St.

New York, NY 10007

Telephone: (212) 220-1406

Fax: (718) 783 3317

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Thank you.

Linda Di Desidero, PhD

Director, Leadership Communication Skills Center

Marine Corps University

Gray Research Center, Room 122

Quantico, Virginia 22134

703-784-4401

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any file(s) transmitted with it, is intended for the exclusive use by the person(s) mentioned above as recipient(s). This e-mail may contain confidential information and/or information protected by intellectual property rights or other rights. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the original and any copies of this e-mail and any printouts immediately from your system and destroy all copies of it. To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"