Not only will students possibly have to take remedial classes, but for high school students, it might mean not graduating from high school, and in most states student test results affect teacher salaries.
Jan

----- Original Message -----

From: "Jack Dixon" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:59:33 AM
Subject: Re: ATEG Digest - 9 Mar 2015 to 10 Mar 2015 (#2015-19)

Yes, yes, yes. I think sometimes those tests, especially reading tests, are written to test certain kinds of texts and reading strategies. I am in TX, and my friends who teach in public schools complain that much of their professional development centers on strategies for passing the state tests.

I still want to believe that the Kansas exam had a mis-keyed item on the answer key. If not, imagine the consequences if several similarly ambiguous items were on an exam that determines whether a student is working at grade level. Equally frightening would be the possibility that the results come with a diagnostic feature. If the student misses comparable questions on the difference between active and passive voice, then the student could be "remediated." What a waste.