BTW, I wrote a few paragraphs about my course structure as part of a paper published in these conference proceedings:
http://w.teachlearn.org/26%20ICCTL.pdf#page=105

Search the file for "Grammar" to jump directly to the relevant section, or read it all to learn a bit about my colleagues praxis in other disciplines.

Best,

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of MARLOW, DAVID
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 9:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: frequency analysis of student text

I do this in a 200 level grammar course (largely education majors, but regularly supplemented with CIS, Business, & Spanish folks as well)

Some years back I hired a CS student to create several web-based scripts and templates that guide students into analyzing their own writing in terms of the key units we cover (Morphology, Form & Structure Classes, MVPs & Sentence Types). They do one "analysis" for each unit we complete. As a culminating project, students reanalyze their own work in comparison to that of a professional in the job they'd like to have some day. One core weakness in my approach is that the analyses are all completed by students. If they are wrong, they don't know it until they get feedback from me - AND - feedback is easy when they're right, but very time consuming when they've got pattern errors in their analyses. I'm saving all the links folks are sharing & plan to explore them to see if I can streamline or improve on my process.

Best,

Dave

David W. Marlow, Ph.D.
Professor of Linguistics and ESOL