I have noted in my grammar that the pre-article quantifiers half, both, and all, may occur as a sentence adverbial. Pre-article is a kind of determiner.  Each is not a pre-article, but an identifier like some, any in its determiner role.  But the fact that each also occurs as a sentence adverbial suggests that it plays two roles.  My revised generative grammar, yet to be available on my website adopts a point of view of a construction grammar and uses parts of phrase labels, rather than just the 8 parts of speech.  The construction is the tree whose leaves (words) guide the interpretation of the phrase in which the word occurs. All of these words may be "grafted" onto the sentence adverbial node in the auxiliary.  This transformation is what they all have in common.
Bruce

--- [log in to unmask] wrote:

From: "Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Grammar question
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 23:34:54 +0000

   I did some quick searching on COCA (Corpus of Contemporary American English) and found ample examples of the pattern for all, both, and each. I didn't do a full search, but  I did enough to suspect that any finite auxiliary works--We can all agree that...; They should both be there on time for a change; Are we all finished arguing? We might each have been there at different times. My wife and I are both writing teachers.

  What is our job as teaching grammarians? To me, the most useful question is what motivates these choices. Does All of us should stop fighting mean the same thing as We should all stop fighting, at least in emphasis?

    The average person in the street wants us to say whether these forms are correct. The fact that they occur regularly in the language of native speakers means, of course, that they are perfectly grammatical. We can--and probably should--talk about how to classify all, both, and each when they show up within the verb phrase. Shouldn't we also ask if there are functional patterns  as well? Have these options evolved for a reason? Has anyone paid attention to that within the scholarly conversation?