From: Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: grammar question/dependent clauses
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 20:08:49 -0800

Scott,

The first sentence has a comparative clause invariably introduced by than, which is an adverbial complement to a comparative adjective (happy) or adverb, which is usually the form ending in -er for most monosyllables and disyllables in -y, -le, or -er,  but for longer adjectives and adverbs is the "pariphrastic" more.

The second sentence has a result clause introduced by that, which is an adverbial complement to the adverb so, which is a modifier of the adjective or adverb (tragically).

Other adverbial clauses of degree are the complement of too and enough, which is in the form of an infinitive phrase called a "small clause" because its subject is introduced by the preposition for.  Unlike the others the adverb enough follows after the adjective or adverb.

Bruce