From: Scott Woods <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: grammar question/dependent clauses
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 23:11:41 +0000

Hi All,

How would you characterize bracketed clauses in the following sentences?

If we only wanted to be happy, it would be easy; but we want to be happier than other people, which is almost always difficult, since we think them happier [than they are].

      I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless     midnight of racism and war [that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood     can never become a reality].

These seem very different from normal noun, adjective, and adverb clauses. How should I explain these to children?

Thanks,

Scot Woods