C is an appositive too. The presence of absence of "that" after
"phenomenon" doesn't change that basic structure. Notice that what
follows the "that" in C is _not_ a "noun clause" (or as I'd prefer to
call it, a content clause), because there's a relativized element.
Here's the structure (gap marked):

a phenomenon [{Rel Cl} that most scientists agree [{Content Cl.} [that]
___ is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels]]

Notice that this clause in turn contains its own subordinate clause, and
this one actually is a content clause. The relativized element is the
subject of that inner content clause. If you're having trouble seeing
the relationships, try pulling apart the sentence into its components by
"unrelativizing" things:

[the] phenomenon is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels ->

most scientists agree [that] [the] phenomenon is caused by human beings'
burning of fossil fuels

There are two sites, one at the start of the relative clause, the other
at the start of the content clause, where "that" can appear, but need
not. The fact that A and C differ in their use of "that" is
window-dressing for the problem that has nothing to do with the
grammaticality of either choice.

I'm with the others who think that C is best and that A is not
idiomatic. It's also worth noting that C observes a fussy prescriptive
rule: genitive case for the "subjects" of gerunds. Such rules are never
directly tested on the GMAT or other standardized tests of English
writing, but the item writers do largely observe them in their correct
answers, and so they can be a signal as to what is supposed to be correct.

Regards,

Karl