From: Scott Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:03 PM
To: Hancock, Craig G; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: GMAT Question

Hi Craig, et al.,

This sort of test is entirely about whether someone has been associating with the right sort of people. It is designed to predict success in MBA programs, which are taught by professors who want to be able to assume that their students have mastered professional writing skills. The test makers and the test users work together to make sure that the test lines up with the skills they need in their programs. The test users are looking for people who have mastered the skills needed for success in their programs.

Apparently, the GMAT does a fairly good job of predicting success in core classes in the first year of MBA programs, but it is useless in predicting success in a business career.

I agree that if we think that developing knowledge about how language works and skill in making it work are important, then we (by which I mean "we on this list," among others), ought to figure out what skills and knowledge people need to maximize their chances of success, and we ought to figure out how to teach these skills and knowledge to everyone, and we ought to develop tests that accurately reflect mastery, none of which has been well done so far, or at least not disseminated to me in a way that I can use.

We ought not to expect that MBA program admissions staff and the developers of the testing instruments that they use will do this or should be at all concerned with how their prospective students did or did not develop the skills that are necessary for admission to or success in their programs. That is our job.

What kind of research and development programs are in process for figuring out what students should know (including how we know what they should know), how best to teach this knowledge to all students, which would likely require a variety of best methods, how we can best test what really matters for our students' development, and how we can best train teachers in this program?

Best regards,

Scott Woods

   Does anyone other than me think  this is a goofy test? We are talking about these choices in ways that are not routinely nurtured in anyone's education these days. If you expect someone to pick the right answer "intuitively," isn't that really a test of whether they have been associating with the right kind of people? I think it's unconscionable to test students on something they have never been taught when those tests are used as gates to opportunity.

    I can understand testing reading comprehension on the basis of reading passages a student is likely to encounter. I can also understand the value of looking at a writing sample. If knowledge about how language works is important--I certainly think it is--then we should agree on what an educated person should know, teach it systematically, and test accordingly. Why are we so sure that a students' intuitions should match those of the test makers? Is the way we routinely talk the "right" way or "best" way or is it simply right or best because it feels right to us?

    Good to see a robust discussion on the site. Great to hear from Martha!