Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 16:39:23 -0400
From: "Gaymon Bennett"  <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject:  ATEG

Dear Ed--

I'm sorry to be so long rewponding to your letter and materials sent
last February.  I have be out of the country on sabbatical leave, and
a slowly digging out of accumulated correspondence and deferred
duties.  Your information couldn't have arrived at a better time:
InLand is devoting an entire issue to the teaching of grammar and
other aspects of language.  Because of the nature of this issue, I
would be happy to promote ATEG free of charge (though it's true we do
sell advertising and would be happy to advertise ATEG in subsequent
issues at very good rates, if I do say so myself).

We have, as you can tell by the call for copy broadened the
consideration of "grammar" to related aspects of English language
teaching.  Still we haven't received many manuscripts.  Could you
help us by contacting a few colleagues who might contribute an
article or by providing us with names of people we could contact?

Our call for copy for the Fall-Winter number reads in part:

To Grammar or Not to Grammar

. . . Is teaching (or not teaching) grammar still an issue?  Is it a
semantic question?  Do different groups mean something different by
the term?  Is it. . . a political issue?  And in any event, what is
to be done?

In this issue we will asssume that the question is still not resolved
and welcome articles on the questions of whether grammar, usage,
and/or mechanics should be taught.  Or what aspects of language
should be taught.  Or how language should be taught.

We welcome submissions on innovative ways to teach language or
integrate language study into literature or writing instruction.
We'd like to learn about interesting language activities to
substitute for tired old exercises.  We'd like to learn about the
place of language instruction in writing workshops and other
collaborative activities.  We'd like to know about your successes or
instructive failures in language teaching.

In short, the issue is wide open.

I hope you can help out.  Let me know what you want us include in the
way of advertising.

Looking forward to your response

            --Gaymon Bennett