ADHS Archives

October 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David M Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:18:03 -500
Despite my longtime interest in the Good Templar fraternal temperance
society I had missed the following relevant article until recently
(probably because Good Templar doesn't appear in the title):

Catherine McCullough, "'It Wasn't My Cup of Tea, Drinking': A Study
of an Early Twentieth Century Temperance Society in the North of
Ireland," Ulster Folklore 37 (1991): 23-29.  The article is based on
an oral history deposited at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.

Finding the article prompts me to ask: are there oral histories of
other temperance societies (e.g., WCTU)?

Years ago the then secretary of a Good Templar organization, the
Grand Lodge of Scotland, told me that a television network taped a
recent annual meeting.  I do not know which television company or whether
the videotape ever was broadcast.

David M. Fahey
History Department
Miami University