ADHS Archives

January 2010

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mark Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:20:59 -0500
During Prohibition in the 1920s, the Bronfman brothers in Canada bought
up Seagrams, an elite producer of whiskey and turned it into one of the
major sources for fine Scotch in the U.S.

    This was certainly true concerning the Philadelphia,  New Jersey,
and New York areas.
Could Seagrams have had other customers in the South?  At then end of
prohibition, Seagrams paid a fine for its illegal activities during
Prohibition, moved its operation the New York/New Jersey, and continued
to sell the same brands in the U.S.  It became to major liquor
distributors in the world--so it might have also become popular in the South

                                        Mark Haller