ADHS Archives

January 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"James D. Ivy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 11:04:23 -0600
Nailing down some of the details in the next chapter of my
still-uncompleted dissertation on prohibition in Texas, I stumped myself
with the following question:

When the United Friends of Temperance split from the IOGT in 1872, did
they retain the requirement that members pledge to support statutory
prohibition?  Might this have varied from state to state, or even locally?

I expect I could find an answer in Scomp, or in Paul Isaac's book on
Tennessee, but I can't seem to lay my hands on a copy of either.

I was going to send this query directly to Prof. Fahey, but I thought
someone else might also know the answer, or have some interest in the
subject.

Thanks in advance,

James Ivy