ADHS Archives

May 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Andrew Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 04:54:53 -0400
A couple of quotations from Curtis Ellison, the Boston University
epidemiologist who has become well-known as a result of having appeared in
the two "Sixty Minutes" programmes on the "French Paradox" (in 1991 and
1995):

"I think that the pattern is now so convincing that total mortality rates
are lower among moderate drinkers that we should not do anything that would
decrease the amount of moderate drinkers. ... It would be bad for public
health. ... There would be more deaths rather than fewer deaths." (1995)

"Public policies that aim to reduce moderate alcohol consumption would
increase overall morbidity in the population. ... Sometimes I think it's
too bad that the Puritans got to the United States before the Italians."
(1998)