ADHS Archives

March 2007

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:26:21 -0500
Thanks to all who have responded to my query.  The answers are about
what I expected.  There are bits and pieces about Quaker temperance
reformers in both print and manuscript sources, but (apparently)
nothing that focuses on a religious denomination that provided so
many of the early temperance advocates in the Anglo-American world.
I don't mean to exaggerate the neglect of the Society of Friends.
Other than the Church of England (studied by Lilian Shiman and Gerry
Olsen) and Fr. Mathew (Townend, Quinn et al.), religious
denominations are seldom the focus of temperance historians.