ADHS Archives

May 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Courtwright, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2006 13:45:12 -0400
Robert,

I know of three works re differential racial access to drink in South Africa: Charles Ambler and Jonathan Crush, "Alcohol in Southern African History," and Pamela Scully, "Liquor and Labor in the Western Cape," both in Liquor and Labor in South Africa, ed. Crush and Ambler (Athens, Ohio: Ohio University Press, 1992), 1-55, 56-77, and Leslie London, "The 'Dop' System . . . in South Africa," Social Science and Medicine 48 (1999): 1407-1414.

Peter Mancall's Deadly Medicine also has a fair amount of material on laws against selling alcohol to Indians in the early American era, if that's any comparative help.

What's the thesis? That, say, a Meti man becomes "white" if he can legally purchase a drink?

David T. Courtwright
John A. Delaney Presidential Professor
Dept. of History
University of North Florida