ADHS Archives

August 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:10:55 -0400
Even within historical alcohol studies writers often work as if they had no
neighbors.  At least in the USA, wine history is written with little
attention to other alcoholic drinks.  At least in the UK, brewery and
public house history is written with little attention to sobriety
movements.  Of course, in vast parts of the world (for instance, India)
alcohol history barely exists, something that I discovered in the course of
writing an article on Gandhi and alcohol.  My point is that different
people define their fields differently.  Likely some historians would be
baffled to be told that they worked within the field of historical alcohol
studies as much as they would if told that they worked wtihin historical
alcohol and other drugs studies.  In other words, historical alcohol
studies is a concept that exists for only a few folk.