ADHS Archives

August 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"James D. Ivy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:48:57 -0500
ATHG Colleagues,
As there have been a couple of requests along these lines, might this be
a good time -- what with fall semester looming -- to begin a discussion
of the place of temperance, prohibition, and the history of alcohol in
history courses?  Certainly there are more courses now offered on these
issues, but even more important (I think) is the fact that the topic has
become a part of broadly focused courses in political history, women's
history, social history, and local/regional studies.

I have to confess up front that since I am in the final year (finally!)
of writing my dissertation, I won't be teaching at all this year.  I was
really hoping to pick up some practical information and current theory to
file away for when I will be planning courses again.  I have tried
without success to find a course outline I worked up for a junior
tutorial on drink and temperance in America.  I didn't teach the
tutorial.  It was rejected, perhaps correctly, as too narrow in its
focus, but if I hope to resurrect it in another form at some point in the
future.

If I find it I will post it for a review and critique.  In the meantime,
perhaps others might share their experiences teaching courses on (or
including) issues related to alcohol and temperance.

And thanks, Thayne Andersen, for spotting my article!

James Ivy