ADHS Archives

December 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 14:20:23 +0100
A search of the MLA database 1963-2000 on "Shakespeare" and "drinking"
showed:
    Roger MacDonald, The ritual of the pledge in Shakespeare's time, The
Shakespeare Newsletter (New Rochelle, NY) 45:1 (224), 9, 20, 1995.
    John Mahon, 'For now we sit to chat as well as eat': conviviality and
conflict in Shakespeare's meals, in John Mahon & Thomas Pendleton, eds.,
"Fanned and Winnowed Opinions". London: Methuen, 1987, pp. 231-248.
     James Kilby, 'Drinking Danes' in Shakespeare and Marston, Notes &
Queries 10, 347, 1963.

... A surprisingly scanty haul.  English literary criticism's treatment of
alcohol has been too much focused on analyses of alcoholism in writers
(often by scholars with a background in the recovery movement).  There are
now broader perspectives available on 19th & 20th century writers (e.g.,
Nicholas Warner's book), but not much of such analysis of earlier
literature.  (Here I am relying on the reviews of alcohol in literary
studies by Roger Forseth and others in the journal Dionysos: Journal of
Literature and Addiction).  Robin