ADHS Archives

January 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ian Tyrrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:57:57 +1100
Jodi Glicksman,

There is a prior question to that of sources and library searches. I would
have hoped that, as a senior student, rather than an interested member of
the general public, you might have had an adviser who pointed out that your
proposal was too wide. Even I in Woman's World/Woman's Empire  had the
advantage of looking at the comparisons  through the activities of a single
organisation, and one which was especially well documented. I would suggest
narrowing the topic to something more manageable, say a comparison of state
management systems in a number of European countries circa 1900, or the
activities of a particular organisation such as the World Prohibition
Federation.

Whatever you do, you should consider the growing number of critiques of
comparative history that have been launched in recent years. National
comparisons are legitimate and important, but too often comparative history
falters because it compares apples and oranges and finds-- surprise-- that
these are different. Setting the appropriate unit of analysis is all
important, and temperance activities are not always carried on in discrete
national settings.

Ian Tyrrell
University of New South Wales