CSCAISGC Archives

September 1997

CSCAISGC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Paul Mongeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CSCA Interpersonal & Small Group Communication <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 08:55:56 EST
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 13:43:05 -0800
From: [log in to unmask] (Howard Giles)
Subject: final Call for own circo
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

Thought you all might be interested. Cheers, Sandra

Professor Sandra Petronio
Department of Communication
P.O. Box 871205
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-1205  o 602-965-4600 h 602 820-6066

        CALL FOR PAPERS

Special Issue on (Mis)Communicating
Across Boundaries

Guest Editors:
Howard Giles
Communication, University of California, Santa Barbara
Cindy Gallois
Psychology, University of Queensland, Brisbane
& Sandra Petronio
Communication, Arizona State University, Tempe

Deadline for Submissions: March 1 1998

Recently, CR has rightly celebrated cultural diversity and applauded the
benefits and challenges of globalization through its Special Issues.  But
what is intriguing to us is that processes of centralization, unification,
homogenization, common languaging, and the like are challenged by
vociferous demands for group autonomy and the protection, resurrection, and
creation of group boundaries - and hence seeming fragmentation.  Witness
the revival of ethnicities all around the world as well as dramatic
increases in hate speech.  Processes of boundary creation can be found in
all social groupings - for example, in gay rights, anti-harassment rules,
and the evolution of Generation X (and others).  Indeed, we all do
"boundary work" at differing levels, such as in guarding our personal space
from parents and the media, avoiding getting relationally too close to
subordinates in the workplace, and sustaining our group identities by, for
example, acting our age.  This raises a question about whether boundaries
ought to be transcended and whether "boundarilessness" can be attained or
represents an ideal.  We need, as many organizational scholars attest, to
understand more about the social functions of boundaries and the contexts
where their forms actually promote a healthy workplace and society.
        This Special Issue will examine how, when, and why messages are
triggered by group boundaries and the mechanisms that maintain them.  While
metaphors of bridges, barriers, margins, transition and buffer zones are
useful for our purposes, the focus on "boundaries" here is deliberate.
First, a move toward "boundary theory" already exists in interpersonal and
organizational communication with regard to privacy and boundary spanning.
It seems important to determine when our personal, family, cultural, and
political (and other group) boundaries intersect and fluctuate in their
relative and/or simultaneous salience.  Second, the notion of boundaries
presupposes and appeals to a host of other constructs in our academic
armory, such as identities, conflict, power, stereotyping, norms,
prejudice, expectancies, justice, and even morality.  Of special import
here would be the dynamics of miscommunication.  Clearly, encountering
boundaries (be they, for example, ethical or sexual) can lead to
problematic talk and problematic media given the interests and identities
of those being bounded.  When boundaries collide, the potential for
miscommunication between people in business, organizations, health,
education, and elsewhere is rife.    Third, it is a core construct in much
theorizing in social geography, geolinguistics, demography, sociology,
social psychology, and anthropology, and hence we have a reservoir of
knowledge and ideas to call upon from elsewhere.
        Boundaries then provide us with complex and exciting agendi across
widely-different methodological and/or ideological contexts.  These include
those: with health concerns (e.g., the consequences of being recipients of
abuse and dignitary harm); in popular culture and story-telling where many
of our boundaries are graphically sustained and challenged; and in mass
media where social images of group boundaries can be created with variable
effects.  Boundaries are constantly changing, cognitively and affectively,
as also illustrated in the dramatic increase of mixed-racial marriages and
relationships across societies.  New technologies allow new questions to be
asked and new possibilities for the maintenance and management of
boundaries (as in the use of "old world" videos by immigrant groups to
fortify cultural maintenance).
        The possibilities are there to be mined and we encourage
submissions to this Special Edition across all boundary issues whether they
be legal, educational, existential, or other.  Indeed, we are seeking a
diverse, yet coherent, set of papers for this Issue.  Our preference is for
papers which are theoretically-driven, empirical studies having applied
significance.

        Manuscripts should be prepared in accordance with APA 4th edition
format.  Although the FINAL deadline appears above, we encourage earlier
submission.  Four hard copies of manuscripts should be submitted to the
following address:

Professor  Howard Giles,
Dept. of Communication,
University of California,