MGTDEV-L Archives

April 1997

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Walter Derzko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Management & Executive Development Discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 14:02:25 -500
DEar List members

An interesting point came up the other day in discussions with some
business associates.

Are the generic components of a typical product innovation and development
process in a manufacturing firm the same as the service innovation and
development process in  an organization that provides just  services to its
customers (such as a bank, insurance company, school/college or government
department) or are the two  processes inherently different.

N.B.

I'm not looking at process innovation (how we do things at work) here,
only product/service innovation (what we produce as an end product)
(ie. the concept development stage, planning, product or service
development process, reliance on team work, ramping up to production or to
service delivery, use of designers etc.)

Which components should /are similar and which should be /are different ?

I suspect that the use of various tools and systems could be different
ie. use of CAD/CAM in maufacturing and less in services

Ideas, opinions and examples welcome.

Walter Derzko
(416) 588-1122 in Toronto