MU-VMS Archives

November 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 16:11:02 -0500
Miami University is experiencing network connectivity difficulties this
afternoon (Wednesday, 27 November 1996) which we believe are due to
larger connectivity difficulties being experienced by our Internet Service
Provider (ISP), OARnet.

The OARnet Support Center in Columbus reports that network connectivity
throughout the State of Ohio is being negatively affected this afternoon
by the fact that one of OARnet's primary connections to the rest of the
Internet (one of its T3s to MCI in Atlanta) has failed, and network
traffic is backing up as a result.

This network traffic backup is slowing connectivity between sites within
OARnet.  Locally within Miami's domain (muohio.edu) we are seeing delays
in Domain Name Service (DNS) lookups used to resolve host.domain names to
Internet Protocol (IP) numbers for sites outside Miami.  Symptoms of this
include timeout failures of various TCP/IP functions, most notably
including World Wide Web (WWW) connections to non-Miami sites (which
generate error messages that cite DNS failure).

MCIS Technical Support has restarted Miami's primary DNS server to ensure
that the problem is not local, and it is not.  The OARnet Support Center
reports that work is underway to restore service to its T3 link to Atlanta.

John

--

          Miami University

          John B Harlan
          Campus Wide Information Systems (CWIS) Coordinator

          Miami Computing & Information Services (MCIS) Client Services
          137 Hoyt Hall
          Oxford, Ohio 45056-1618
          (513) 529-5330 voice  (513) 529-5058 fax
          http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~harlanjb/