OHIOFIRE Archives

August 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Janie Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:54:29 -0500
Here at the University of Alabama, we have two full time electricians
dedicated only to fire alarm systems in which they inspect, test and maintain
all 118 systems in campus buildings and dorms/residence halls.  They are
assigned to the Physical Plant Electrical Department but receive "work orders"
from our office at Env. Health and Safety (we report to UA Dept. of Public
Safety under Financial Affairs).   The fraternities and sororities (21
fraternities/15 sororities) are responsible for their own systems; however, I
require a letter from the inspecting/testing contractor prior to the beginning
of the fall semester indicating the system has been tested.  All fraternities
and sororities have fire alarm systems with smoke detector activations in
their houses located on campus. (If fraternity doesn't comply before a social
event (band party), then we would disapprove their party.  Needless to say, we
haven't disapproved any parties to date.  If a party is not scheduled within
the first week or so, I'll call the house corporation president and it is
scheduled right away.   If a sorority hasn't complied by the deadline, I call
the housemother and it is scheduled right away.)

Janie Fowler
Safety Coordinator
Univ. of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, Al