OHIOFIRE Archives

February 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Maas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 08:12:50 -0500
At Cornell University we deal with the testing scheduling in a
variety of ways.  For the annual testing, our testing and inspection
staff (T&I) work 4 ten hour days each week.  They're in at 6 a.m. so
they can do horn/strobe tests before the buildings are in use.  For
some very large buildings (i.e. our Vet College) we get extra staff
from our Fire Protection & Emergency Services program to help with
the horn/strobe tests and do them during the day as part of a
building wide evacuation drill.  Initiating device and suppression
system tests (pullboxes, smoke/heat detectors, sprinklers, etc.) are
done during the daytime with the horns silenced.  Residence halls are
done during winter break while the students are away.

Monthly operational tests (short test to make sure the alarm panel
transmits an alarm to our main dispatch alarm console) are spread out
over 5 "alarm runs" that are scheduled on fixed Thursdays each month.
3 of these runs happen during the day shift, one during the evening
shift and one on the overnight shift.  In most buildings the horns
sound for 5 to 10 seconds and most folks in the building are aware of
which Thursday their test occurs.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have questions about our T&I program.
-Dan

>  I am looking for information on how the testing/inspections of Fire/Safety
>systems are scheduled on other Universities. Is this testing conducted at
>night, off hours, or just set off the horns in a fully occupied building
>with prior notification?
>Any information would be helpful.

DANIEL MAAS      (607)254-1634     FAX: (607)255-1642
Emergency Management Coordinator/Event Management Coordinator
Fire Protection & Emergency Services
Cornell University Environmental Health & Safety
EH&S Bldg,  201 Palm Road, Ithaca, NY  14850
email: [log in to unmask]

The comments and views expressed in this communication are
strictly my own and are not to be construed to officially represent
those of my peers, supervisors or Cornell University