OHIOFIRE Archives

August 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Vincent Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:30:39 -0600
At the University of New Mexico, we have incorporated a variance to NFPA 101 on
alarm activation in our newest dorm (we are still conducting final inspections on
it this week). We have several other dorms on campus in which the pull stations
were removed several years ago by the housing office due to excessive false
alarms. They replaced them with push button call stations. The caller would have
to push and hold the button in to report an emergency. The RAs would then check
out the call and decide weather it was a bonified emergency, then call the
police, fire or medics. This was never approved by the State Fire Marshal back in
1979. It proved to be a near disaster in 1999 when we had a dorm fire in which
the RAs took 10 minutes to decide to evacuate the dorm. We are just finishing a
new 3 story, 4 wing, 104 apartment (400 students) dormitory. I took the old dorm
system design and incorporated NFPA 101 requirements for a pre-action alarm
system with a delay module. I then encorporated networked-single station
detection for all apartments and full sprinkler coverage into the project. The
idea is that a student activates the call station to report an emergency (or a
prank). The RA desk receives the call and a three minute time delay is activated.
The RAs have that time to investigate and either silence the alarm, let it
activate or can manually activate it under the three minutes if necessary. If
they do not confirm a prank or false alarm, or the RAs cannot respond in time,
the alarms will automatically activate. Of course we have an automatic backup
system which is the sprinklers. Activation of a sprinkler will set the alarms off
without delay. The old system has kept false alarms down to nearly zero for
several years. The new systems allows for the same level of false alarm
protection but meets NFPA 1, 101 and 101A requirements. We get around the
exception of not requiring pull stations in a sprinkled building by using the
call stations. We are working to upgrade our other existing dorms to function the
same as our new system.