OHIOFIRE Archives

November 1999

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Paul Sincaglia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:33:31 -0500
As fire safety personnel for each campus, I draw your attention to the
following BOCA code requirement.  (I would expect the other model codes to
have similar provisions although I cannot verify it at this time.) Failure
to know and enforce these code provision (or any similar provision) leaves
the school in a dangerous liability position, not to mention your
professional reputations.

Although many of you do not have the force of law, if you are in a BOCA
National Fire Code Section 403.8 specifies that bonfires cannot be more than
5' x 5' by 5' high.

We use this standard for our area bonfires and rigorously enforce it.  This
prevents the creation of "jumbo" piles of misc. stuff that creates nothing
less than a house of cards that made this tragedy possible.

Paul Sincaglia P.E.
Firesafety Solutions, Inc.
Fire Protection Engineers, Managers and Consultants
Chagrin Falls, OH
440.247.3770