OHIOFIRE Archives

February 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:38:50 -0800
Dan,
You pose a question that many of us have wrestled with for decades.
However, there now exists a tool that should make all of our lives easier.
The tool is Occupancy Vulnerability Assessment Profiling (OVAP), developed
under sponsorship of the U.S. Fire Administration with input from a select
group of fire officials (Ronny Coleman, retired California State Fire
Marshal, chaired the committee).  OVAP is an electronic based program that
allows knowledgeable fire professionals to categorize buildings into four
groupings very quickly.  Input time for a single building usually takes no
longer than one minute.  Once the proper data is entered, scores are
automatically tabulated and buildings are placed into either the Low,
Moderate, High or Extreme classifications.  Data entries cover building,
life safety, water demand and risk factors.

OVAP can provide the user with an objective fire and life safety analysis to
both prioritize buildings and aid in the decision making process you
mention.  For example, one question asks if the Means of Egress is
conforming.  We have found that by improving the means of egress will move a
building from the Extreme down to the High hazard classification.  Based on
our limited experience, it appears that buildings falling within the Extreme
Hazard classification due so because of code related issues.  Therefore,
High Hazard is not an unreasonable classification for your typical
university or college research building.  As such, we are currently using
the program to prioritize our buildings by hazard classification and then we
identify which deficiencies, if corrected, would give us the biggest bang
for the buck while improving fire and life safety.

Like I said, we have found OVAP to be a tremendous evaluative and decision
making tool and I'd invite each of you to investigate its potential.
Probably your best source of information would be the USFA.  However, should
any of you like to contact me, please feel free to do so.

Mike Chandler
Fire Chief
UC Davis Fire Department
530/752-1236