OHIOFIRE Archives

June 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Don Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:32:36 -0400
>I am looking for information on universities that have a full time paid fire
>department and EMS department.  The school population and area served.
>Deputy Chief Francis Williams
>UConn Fire Department
>126 North Eagleville Road
>Storrs, Conn. 06269-3165
>860-486-4925
>FAX 860-486-4179

Hello Chief Williams,

Purdue University is the only one that I am sure has only a full-time staff.

2 Engines, Platform, EMS Units

Contact: Chief Adams

Nortre Dame has a department with full time and part time staff.  I
am not sure about students.  Contact:

Lt. Brian P. Kazmierzak ([log in to unmask])
Clay Twp. Firefighters Local #1630
University of Notre Dame On-Call Firefighter

Washington State University operates w/ 6 paid and about 21 paid students.

2 Engines, EMS Units

No contact:

University of Alaska - Fairbanks operates with paid professionals and students.

University of California at Davis

Several Engines and a new tiller

Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo

No information.

Alcorn State in Mississippi recently purchased a Pierce Aerial.
Other than that I do not have any information.

New Mexico State also has a fire department I understand.

Tuscoloosa (SP) AL operates a fully paid station of the campus of the
University of Alabama.  Muncie, IN operates at station on the campus
of Ball State.  East Lansing operates a station on the campus of
Michigan State.

Antioch College in Yellow Springs Ohio has a station operated by students.

Clemson University operates with paid, paid-call, paid students,
paid-call students and volunteer (probie) students.  Equipment
includes:

1 Aerial
2 engines
2 ALS Medics
1 salvage (little beer)
1 Haz mat (big beer)
1 collapse (bread box)
1 boat
2 golf carts
3 Staff vehicles

We run about 1200 calls a year.  Student population is about 17,000.
We cover the adjacent city via a contract for another 14,000 or so.
Football weekends we have 90,000+ in town and bring in extra EMS
units.  All major equipment is full staff during a football game.  We
run the stadium like and incident.  90 calls during a football game
is not unusual.

We are between chiefs.  Dennis Marcus is acting chief.  ([log in to unmask])

Don Collins
Captain
Clemson University Fire and Emergency Medical Services
Box 344010
Clemson, South Carolina  29634-4010

Clemson: TIME Magazine's 2000-2001 Public College of the Year

864.656.3925 Work
864.656.7519 FAX