OHIOFIRE Archives

August 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mark Tetreault <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:41:08 +0000
Dartmouth fraternity officially banned

HANOVER, N.H. (AP) — The Dartmouth College fraternity sanctioned in May for
printing newsletters that detailed the sexual exploits of its members has
been banned from the college.

A final appeal by fraternity Zeta Psi was rejected last week after the
college’s dean of residential life determined the fraternity had not met any
of the three criteria required for an appeal to be granted.

Grounds for an appeal include possible procedural errors, finding of new
information in the case or a request for clemency.

"Based on my review of the information submitted, I have informed the
organization that I find no basis upon which to change my May 10 decision,"
Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman said in a letter to the Dartmouth
community. "The May 10 findings and sanctions will remain in effect."

The fraternity asked for reconsideration on all three grounds, the letter
said.

The letter appeared Friday in the college’s independent newspaper, The
Dartmouth.

Redman did not return phone calls earlier in the week.

During the past few months Redman has been reviewing documents provided by
the fraternity in support of its case.

It was Redman who found the fraternity guilty of harassment during spring.

Based on those findings and the fraternity’s history — it was suspended for
a year in 1987 for similar behavior — Redman decided to "de-recognize" it.

The newsletters printed by the fraternity detailed its members’ sexual
exploits with undergraduate women, many of whom were identified by name.

One newsletter also previewed a future issue that would include techniques
for date rape.

The fraternity’s president, Eugene Boyle, has said the college’s punishment
was overly harsh and said the newsletters were not intended for anyone
outside the fraternity.

The 48-member fraternity founded at Dartmouth in 1853, owns a house on
Webster Avenue in Hanover. It was unclear what will happen to the house.

There are 26 Greek organizations on the Dartmouth campus: 15 fraternities,
eight sororities and three co-educational fraternities.

The total membership of those organizations is 1,600, or about 40 percent of
the college’s undergraduate students.

© 2001 Geo. J. Foster Co.

Mark Tetreault