OHIOFIRE Archives

April 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Vincent Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:30:20 -0600
Just another take on the candle question. The university of New Mexico strictly
prohibits candles in dorms for ANY reason including religious ceremonies. We do
allow candles in other buildings, primarily public assembly. We do not permit
them in business occupancies, and only in laboratories under controlled
conditions as part of an approved experiment. Our Fine Arts College has an art
committee on which we sit, to approve art work (to ensure the art does not cause
a safety hazard or uses unauthorized open flames or heat producing devices). If
you look at the Life Safety Code, NFPA 101, chapter 8-7 lays out where candles
or open flames are or are not permitted. Candles are permitted for religious
cermonies under controlled conditions. Chapters 16 and 17 on new/existing
dormitories does not address this area, and as such, we do not permit the use of
candles in dorms or fraternities. Our take on this is that if there is a need
for a religious ceremony, the occpants can have the event in a  chapel or
approved public assembly. When we do permit the use of open flames, a safety
representative inspects the area and the open flames, standsby during the event
or we designate an event manager for the event who is fully responsible for the
safe use of the open flames.