PARTNERS Archives

November 2009

PARTNERS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Katherine O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Partners Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:33:02 -0500
Hello Everyone.

I mentioned to Rodney that I have been doing a number of courses with
globalization as a central focus. These include: Children's Lives, Women and
Social Change, Global Feminisms, and Weaving Solidarity: Fair Trade, Human
Rights, and Social Justice. The latter course has an off campus delegation
part that is conducted with my colleagues in Chiapas, Mexico. I am attaching
syllabi.

I have been working with the 350 person Mayan Women's Weaving cooperative,
Jolom Mayaetik, since 1998. I also work with a grassroots sister NGO there.
A local feminist network of activists and other human rights- economic
justice organizations are part of a large national, progressive social
movement in Chiapas separate from the  Zapatistas.

Since they are weavers, I work with Jolom marketing their textiles
throughout the US( at their request). I also work on health and human rights
initiatives with them and have co-written grants for reproductive health
work and for medical clinic equipment in Chiapas. I am moving toward
creating a non-profit 501C3 organization this year(Weaving with One Heart).

The cooperative has its own oral history on the lives of many of the
weavers. I have just finished my book entitled, Weaving Transnational
Solidarity from the Catskills to Chiapas and Beyond(Brill Press)
forthcoming.

I am also very involved in grassroots youth organizing and have a non-profit
organization, OCAY-Oneonta Community Alliance for Youth and Oneonta Teen
Center.

I am very excited to work with you!

Kate

Katherine O'Donnell, Ph.D.

Professor, Sociology

Founder and President, OCAY-Oneonta Community Alliance for Youth and Oneonta
Teen Center

Founder, Weaving Solidarity Network (on facebook and myspace)

International Advisor, Jolom Mayaetik, Mayan Women's Weaving Cooperative,
Chiapas, MX

2006 Lynton National Award Recipient for the Scholarship of Faculty Outreach
and Civic Engagement