PARTNERS Archives

October 2010

PARTNERS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Rodney D. Coates" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Partners Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:07:17 +0000
----------------------------------------------------------It is so exciting to see the possibility of internationally-conducted assignments!  Thanks so much Rodney for configuring the projects!  I'm totally for the idea in theory, and I'm a curious to see how it works in practice.  I'd love to hear more from others who've said they done it before it.  For instance, how do we guarantee that all the students will participate with equal enthusiasm?  When I do group projects among students (who are in the same room!), there are inevitable complaints about those who don't pull their load.  What will happen when these students can barely talk to each other?I second John Dale's comment therefore.  I'm thinking the blogging will be a much more straightforward activity that we can count on.  Since the projects are more tricky to organize, I suggest that we add a disclaimer somewhere in the syllabus -- maybe at the top? and / or maybe above the assignment section?  -- about how individual instructors will have discretion over whether or not they are participating in the group assignments. Lyndi's spreadsheet idea is brilliant.  Can I suggest that we add another column to the list of data (along with course dates):  check mark of whether or not the instructor is using the core assignments from the syllabus (or doing it on their own).  Then it will be easier for us or students to peruse the list and see who they can potentially partner with.Winnie

Dr. Winifred R. Poster

Brown School of Social Work

Washington University

Campus Box 1196

One Brookings Drive

St. Louis, MO 63130

www.winifredposter.com

Begin forwarded message:

Sent from my BlackBerry device from Cincinnati Bell Wireless