PARTNERS Archives

August 2012

PARTNERS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Partners Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 21:06:19 -0700
Greetings all from Xios, Greece!

I am still working on organizing the course for the University of
Victoria's Social Justice program. At this point, I can say that we will
participate in the weekly blogs but that we only have 10 full weeks this
term (ie 2 sessions a week) and so we won't be able to cover all the
topics. We will also have some supplementary readings.

Is it a problem if we do some topics in different order, ie I would like
to bring the what is social justice to the beginning of the class?

I really like Carol Pavlish and Adey Nyamathi's idea of encouraging
students to participate in the case study  with students from other
institutions but not requiring it. My class won't be participating in the
service component because it is slated for another course in our program.

Thanks everyone. I am very excited to be part of this initiative.

> Carol:
> No problem..as the administrator ..go into the group, under options
select
> manage members..click on the member you want to suspend..click on the
tab
> (please select one or more members) click on suspend...when you click on
this ..then it will ask you if you want to delete all of their
> content..select yes...then they will no longer show up under your group
(but will still be kept under suspended members tab)..Let me know if you
have any questions...
Behalf
> Of Pavlish, Carol
> Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:31 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Participation Levels and Related Information for the Fall
course.
> Thanks Rodney. We will see what topics emerge.
> A quick question about the website - do we need to delete last year's
UCLA
> group and establish a new UCLA group - or can we use the same group site
as last year - and somehow erase the 17 members from last year.
> Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks so much.
> Carol Pavlish
On Behalf Of Coates, Rodney D. Dr.
> Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:26 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Participation Levels and Related Information for the Fall
course.
> Carol and Adey:
> There is no reason why we cannot decide on a topic explicitly related to
global health..also Emee (in England) is also in Health so she might
actually want to pursue this as well.
> But we will collaboratively decide on topics ..both for the service
learning and the case studies...so we can certainly put this on the
table..
some readings from the core syllabus as they relate to the political,
economic, social, and cultural dynamics of the health experience -
especially as we consider vulnerable populations and health disparities.
We start on Wednesday, October 3 and will be requiring students to post
and respond to weekly blogs. We are requiring students to select either
> case study or service learning project - and will strongly encourage our
students to participate in the case study or service learning project
with
> students from other institutions - however, we are not requiring it. Our
students must select a topic that relates to global health - so it will
depend on the topics that emerge from the online groups as they begin to
form.
> We look forward to working with all of you in offering a stimulating,
productive, and inspiring course.
> Carol Pavlish and Adey Nyamathi
> UCLA School of Nursing
> Los Angeles, CA, USA
This will allow us to plan and accommodate the students.  Right now we
anticipate close to 300 students and 10 University's Participating.
Please note, this information is essential as it  will be utilized to us
to identify Partner Institutions and students at the various levels of
Participation.
> Will you be following the core syllabus?
> Will you require your students to do the weekly blogs?
> Will you require your students to do the group case study?
> Will you require your students to do the group service learning project?
Thanks..
> For more of my work please check me out at -
> http://redroom.com/member/rodney-d-coates
> The song that lies silent in the heart of a mother sings upon the lips
of
> her child..
> Kahlil Gibran
> [cid:image001.jpg@01CD7FBB.20BAB010]
> Rodney D. Coates
> Professor and Interim Director of Black World Studies

Dr. Georgia Sitara
Sessional Lecturer
Departments of History
and Women's Studies,