SPEDNET Archives

October 2001

SPEDNET@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Alex Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Special Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:43:11 -0500
Pre-Majors and Majors
        Everyone understands that there are various problems with
initiating a new registration system. I am sure you know the problems
from your standpoint. What are difficulties from a course offering
standpoint is that we no longer receive a demand analysis for courses
which indicated how many students want certain courses. When we
receive that we can make adjustments to times and course offerings to
meet the demand so that scurrying to add courses or make adjustments
is not evident to the students. The only way we know that now is by
having students saying that the classes were closed and they could
not get in. We have no way to know the number of students who were
rejected from registering for a class.
        We will try to accommodate as many requests and we can.

        The only way for us to know what students were closed out of
classes is by your letting us know. In Room 201 McGuffey there are
sheets on the counter which allows sign-up for EDP 455, 476, and 256,
all classes that have been closed. By next Friday we can make a
determination if we need to force add those who are along in the
program or if we need to add an additional section. If you need these
classes please make sure your name is on the list.

EDP 497/597
        Based on student request an additional section of EDP 497/597
was added (capstone). If you are a senior and want a capstone, this
is a good one to take. There are two classes and many of those who
signed up have not registered yet. An additional class was added to
accommodate student request and I have the original list. If you
signed up to take 497 and have not registered, please do so now. If
you signed up but do not intend to take EDP 497, please contact me.

Methods for MM/MI Majors
        If you are taking any methods courses make sure that you are
doing it as part of a full block and that you have your special
education methods and practicum included. Many scheduling problems
occur when students take only portions of the required methods
classes. Since these methods are blocked it is easier for you to take
ALL your methods in one semester. If you don't, your scheduling
options are limited in subsequent semesters since you are still
required to block out the day for field experience, even if you are
taking only one of the methods courses.

Student Teaching for Fall, 02
        FYI, Student Teaching applications will be available in
January, 2002. No need to ask for them yet.

Summer Scholars Opportunity
        A reminder that summer scholar applications are due November
30. A great opportunity for those completing their sophomore or
junior year in the spring. For information go to
http://www.muohio.edu/UndergradResearch/

Alex Thomas
Educational Psychology
Miami University