SPEDNET Archives

September 1997

SPEDNET@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ganschow L <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Special Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 15:12:11 -0500
TO:                SPECIAL ED MAJORS/MINORS
FROM:   L GANSCHOW
RE:               SPECIAL EDUCATION MAJOR/MINORS:  TIMELINE

Some of you have been asking about guidelines about tasks you need to complete
as a major/minor in special education.  Here is a suggested timeline.

If you have other suggestions of items to add to this timeline, please send
them to me ([log in to unmask]) or call me at 529-6621.

Freshman Year
o Declare special ed premajor or minor by filling out yellow form in 201 McG.

o Take EDP 256 and EDP 220.

o  Apply to be a special education major/minor with certification at the end
of the freshman year (2.5 GA, complete 30 hours, EDP 201, 220, and 256). Pick
up forms in 201 McG.  Decide on certification area(s): LD, DH, SBH, MH, Early
Intervention.  Minors without certification do this in EDT 290.

o Apply to the special education teacher education program at end of freshman
year (2.5 GPA; complete 30 hours; requires PPST (or ACT/SAT equivalent) and
speech/hearing test -- see details on application form).  Pick up form in 201
McGuffey.   Once you have applied, you will be assigned an advisor in special
education.
o Make appointment with special education advisor (assigned after you have
applied to our program).  Begin planning program of coursework with advisor.
Be sure to bring along your DARRS, which you can obtain from the CAB Bldg.

o Select thematic sequence.  These often fill up quickly.

Sophomore Year
o Make appointment with special education advisor (assigned after you have
applied to our program).  Plan total program of coursework with advisor.  Be
sure to bring along your DARRS, which you can obtain from the CAB Bldg.

Junior Year
o Majors and double majors take EDP 301 and 494.  (You should take EDP 301
before 494.)  Minors with/without certification take EDP 494 instead of EDP
301.

 o Majors and Minors with certification should take special ed methods and
practica together (EDP 495 + 459; EDP 458 + 459); these may also be taken in
the senior year.  Prerequisites for methods include the certification survey
course (493 for LD; 492 for SBH; 457 for DH and MH). We encourage you to take
LD/SBH/DH methods in the first semester and any combinations with MH in the
second semester.  We also encourage you to take EDP 494 (assessment) and EDP
496 (behavior management) with your special education methods.

o Register for EDT 316 (first semester) and EDT 318 (second semester) by
filling out a green application form in McGuffey 301 B.  You must fill out
this form in order to get into these classes.  You may not register for these
classes through MUCAREs.

o Take the NTE (National Teachers Exam).  It is best to do this before
student teaching (either second semester of junior year or first
semester of senior year).

o Students planning to student teach in the fall of their senior year will
need to pick up their student teaching application packet in January
(available the first week of classes).  Watch for signs in McGuffey or call
the student teaching office (529-7245).

Senior Year
o  Students must complete all methods, and special education courses prior to
student teaching.  The one exception is EDP 478 (parenting course) which may
be taken concurrently with student teaching.  EDL 418 must also be taken
before student teaching.

o Students planning to student teach in the second semester should pick up
student teaching packets in August/September  (the first full week of
classes).  Watch for signs in McGuffey or call the student teaching office
(529-7245).

o Do capstone. This may be in our outside special education.  Options in
special education are EDP 497 or EDP 460.