SPEDNET Archives

October 2004

SPEDNET@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Tom Southern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Special Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:35:04 -0400
EDT 246
We have an agreement to open up a section of EDT 246 only for Special
Education majors and only this spring.  However, we need to know numbers so
we can be sure the section is viable.  If you are a mild/moderate license
candidate and are not also targetting ECIS, this is a seection that would be
designed for you.  The time will be arranged but it will require time in the
schools during the day, so those of you taking student teaching may not be
able to participate.  If you need this course, please notify me ASAP.  If we
have enough, we will hand register you.

EDT 497
We have opened up a new section of EDP 497 meeting at the same time as the
first section.  It will be limited to special education majors.  We will
hand register people (you cannot register through Bannerweb). If you have
sent emails to Dr. Therrien asking for a force add, you will be registered.
 If you need the course this semester but have not yet asked for a place,
you need to do so.

Loan Forgiveness
For those of you with student loans, there is some potential good news.

The following story (see below) was on CEC's website. If you have student
loans,make sure you look into debt forgiveness programs. Also keep in mind
that for some debt forgiveness programs you are only eligible if you have
NOT consolidated your loans so check into them PRIOR to consolidation.

New bill waives college loan repayments for certain teachers
President George W. Bush will likely sign the Taxpayer-Teacher Protection
Act of 2004, which allows the government to pay off up to $17,500 in
Stafford loans for highly qualified math, science and special-education
teachers in designated low-income areas. The legislation extends the
repayment relief until January 2006,when a comprehensive loan program
overhaul is expected to be enacted.

Although this law has yet to pass, there are already debt forgiveness
programs for special education teachers. The one I am aware of forgives
$5,000. A story on the program is available at:
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/pf/20020215a.asp

You can also locate schools and districts that qualify at the department
of ed website: ed.gov

If you have student loans, make sure you investigate these programs prior
to consolidating and accepting your first teaching position.

There are also many other programs for special education teachers who work
in urban/remote school districts. Some offer low to no interest home
loans, signing bonuses, moving expenses, etc.. Make sure to do your
homework especially if you are interested in teaching in an urban or
remote (i.e., Indian reservation, Alaska, Hawaii) district.