SPEDNET Archives

November 2001

SPEDNET@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Alex Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Special Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 12:03:33 -0500
Update: Please read carefully those items that pertain to you..............

Student Teaching for Spring 02, Fall 02
        The Student Teaching/Field Placement Office will have the
spring semester 2002 placements available by the last week of this
semester. They may have them posted earlier but count on them during
the last week of this semester.
        For those of you planning to student teach in the fall
semester 2002 you will be able to pick up your applications after
Thanksgiving. You will not have to have them completed and given to
me until January.

To Those Students Who Were Closed Out of 256, 455/555, 476/576
        During the last SPEDNET it was mentioned we have a sign-up
sheet in the EDP Office and hopefully you have placed your name on
the sheet. If not, please do it now. There were 11 students closed
out of EDP 256, 13 closed out of EDP 455, and 17 closed out of EDP
476. Next week we will know whether there will be a new section of
each of those classes or whether the enrollment will be raised for
the current section (you will get notice through SPEDNET). In either
case, the courses will be offered and those students signed up will
be able to enroll. Fret not. For those of you on those lists, for
planning purposes, count on the same times for those classes/sections.

To Those Students Who Were Closed Out of 459 (Practicum)
        If you needed to sign up for two sections of 459 (M/M, M/I,
ECIS, Gifted) you were closed out of the second one you signed up for
and this was indicated in a previous SPEDNET. We need to know,
however, how many were closed out for what sections so you should
scurry in an orderly fashion to see Dr. Ulrich and force add the
section to which you could not automatically register. Do this next
week so your schedule will be complete, Dr. Ulrich can plan on the
numbers for the appropriate licensure placements, and there will be
order once again in the world or at least that world.

To Those Students Taking EDP 497 (Phonics Capstone) in the Spring
        Because of the large numbers signing up and the limited
availability, a section was added of EDP 497. When you signed up, you
were guaranteed to take EDP 497, NOT guaranteed to take it at a
certain time. Bottom line, we have a full class for the M/W and many
openings for T/R. There are some students who MUST do M/W since they
have a conflict at the other time and could not get in. Time for
volunteers. If you are currently in a M/W and can take a T/R, then
please do a drop/add (you can simply call me on the phone or email me
and I will take care of that for you). It benefits everyone if the
system  works out by itself without external intervention.

Applying for Majors and Minors
        The application date to apply to be a special education major
is March 1, 2002. That is also going to be the time to apply for a
minor. Here is more information that you may need or want. We have
controlled the major enrollments to meet our (EDP) ability to provide
courses and within guidelines imposed on us. Usually, anyone
requesting a minor has been automatically admitted as a special
education minor. We currently have 41 minors without and 21 minors
with licensure which, when combined with over 100 thematic sequence
students, means we have obligated ourselves to provide courses to
those admitted to major or minor in special education and to those
who declare a thematic sequence. As you can tell from the messages
above, our ability to provide the courses to meet the requests is
becoming stretched. Sooooo, we need to monitor more carefully the
number of students who enter as minors or thematic sequence pursuers
since this impacts ability of our majors to get courses.
        Bottom line... if you are in the system now (indicated by
your reading this) you will exit with the major or minor you want. I
cannot sign any more requests for minors in special education until
3/1/02. The procedures for applying for a major or minor (by 3/1/02)
will be explained in a later SPEDNET.

Alex Thomas
Educational Psychology
Miami University