OHIOFIRE Archives

April 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:01:52 -0400
DEAR COLLEAGUES
                We need as many Fire Chiefs or campus fire officials as
possible to send permission to Senator Edwards aide (Crystal Bennett) to use
your name as a co-signer on a letter supporting Senator Edwards' bill (SB
2100).  This bill would create a grant program of $100 million each year for
5 years as a matching programs designated to install fire sprinklers in
university student housing, fraternity and sorority houses.  This would be
impact legislation on the issue of safe student housing and is desperately
needed.  Too many universities use the excuse of "costs too much" to delay
or deny installation of fire sprinklers.

Please pass this along and consider supporting this fire protection
legislation.  We recovered 5 student bodies from a fraternity house fire
here in Chapel Hill that would have lived had there been a sprinkler system
in the house.  The scenario has been repeated elsewhere in the country and
this legislation would help us reduce that risk.

Contact Crystal at the email address below to express your support and give
permission to use your name and title or fax her your support at
202-228-1374.  I will appreciate your support, firefighters in
university/college communities will appreciate your support, but most of all
parents on students will appreciate your support.  Thank you.
                                                        DAN JONES
Dan Jones
Fire Chief, Chapel Hill NC
Past Chairman of Board, ISFSI