ADHS Archives

August 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 06:38:55 -0400
It is now the twenty-first century, but I see little research relevant to
the ATHG for my own lifetime (born 1937).  The parts of the world that I
know best are North America and the British Isles.  For the USA, most
research deals with the period before National Prohibition, with a
postscript for National Prohibition itself.  I think the story is similar
for Canada; in the words of one historian, from the canal age to the Great
Depression.  For the British Isles, scholars have written about times as
early as the late Middle Ages and sometimes go up to the era of the First
World War but overwhelmingly focus on the Victorian era.  It is easy to
find more recent topics: for instance, in the USA the controversy over when
and what young people can drink (and the widespread violation of the
law).  Perhaps the best way to approach the "recent" period is to ask what
questions, addressed to drink and sobriety, might illuminate a larger
historical story.  This may help us avoid antiquarianism and unpublishable
manuscripts.  Suggestions?