OHIOFIRE Archives

August 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jim Mossman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 08:00:21 -0400
FIRE ALARM STATISTICS and some observations,
2000-2001 AY at Saint Michael's College

Here at Saint Michael's College we had a total of 65 residential fire alarms
last academic year.   Of those, our first- and second- year central "Quad"
residence halls (4 dorm-style buildings representing about 35% or 40% of our
on-campus students) were responsible for 35 of those alarms.

Our breakdown was as follows in 2000-2001 AY, during academic months only:

ALARMS WITHOUT ACTUAL FIRE:                     "QUAD" RESIDENCE HALLS
APTS.&3rd/4th year student
Accidental / non-malicious                                              1
4
Accidental / burned food
0                                                                       4
Burned paper - cause unk.                                               0
0
"False" not otherwise categorized                               7
1
Legitimate-  smoke (candle, fire soon, etc.)            0
2
Malicious Activation
17                                                                      3
Unfounded / system error                                                3
2
Unknown cause
5                                                                       5

ACTUAL FIRES
WITH or WITHOUT ASSOCIATED ALARM
(Includes interior and exterior fores of trash, dumpsters, couches,
stovetops, curtains, recycling, etc.   Does not include year-end spontaneous
combustion of outdoor couches and "bars" dragged outside for impromptu 4am
disposal,  these fires being put out without incident or fire dept.
involvement.)
FIRE- type not specified
1                                                                       2
FIRE- minor/contained                                                   0
1
FIRE-  required hand extinguisher                               1
2
FIRE-   required fire dept.                                             0
4

We use IRMS reporting format which lets us keep these kinds of distinct
records in a searchable database.

There were also several anecdotal reports of fires extinguished by students
and not reported (stovetop, cigarette/rug, etc.) and numerous minor bulletin
board arsons which did not create an incident.

A few years ago we had 13 false fire alarms in one building in one night.
That was reduced via plainclothes saturation patrol and intense follow-up
interviews.

A couple of years ago we found problems with students not evacuating due to
disconnected fire alarm claxons (vandalism).  We had to go to daily and
weekly tests of the system (at noon) for a few weeks, along with intense
follow-up interviews of  dorm residents by Res.Life.

We had a suspicious string of trash fires two years in a row that ended,
coincidentally, with residential change(s).   Last year someone was
suspended for activating a fire alarm.    In the spring a sprinkler head was
intentionally set off- suspect(s) but no resolution as the evidence did not
tip the college's scale for pc for a board.

Our biggest problem now is fire extinguisher vandalism.   The water cans
either get empty -weekly on some floors- or fly out the window.    We have
tried dye, etc. etc.   No easy answers.  We have asked for -and its rumoured
that it was received- permission for the security dept. to include the dorms
in our patrols next year to reduce these problems.

Saint Michael's College, founded in 1904 by the Society of St. Edmund and
headed by President Marc A. vanderHeyden, has been identified by U. S. News
& World Report for 11 consecutive years as one of the top15 North Regional
Universities in the nation.  A Catholic, residential college, located in
Colchester, Vermont, two miles from the state's largest city of Burlington,
Saint Michael's has 1,900 full-time undergraduate students, and another 650
graduate students and 200 international students, studying part time.  A
highly respected, vibrant academic community, Saint Michael's College was
named a "Best Buy" in Money Magazine's selection of "schools that deliver
the highest quality education for the tuition they charge."

Jim Mossman
Security and Fire Prevention Officer
Saint Michael's College Safety & Security
One Winooski Park, Box 280
Colchester, VT  05439

FIRE   PREVENTION    -    A  SKILL   FOR    LIFE