MUEMAIL Archives

June 1994

MUEMAIL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Allison Debra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Electronic Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 1994 10:19:44 -0500
You may recall that we sent out a Request for Comments on the committee's
recommendations for Miami's email infrastructure and deliverables, on March
30.  We asked for your comments by April 8.  We received comments/suggestions
from one person (Barbara Edwards) and her comments are included at the
appropriate point below.

Please email me with your comments by Wednesday, July 6.  If it appears that
we need another meeting to come up with our final recommendations, we will
schedule one.

I apologize for not getting this out to you sooner.  I was consumed by a
project to replace Wang equipment for 13 offices; those requisitions are now
out, so I can get back to other projects.  (48 Macs and 40 IBMs were ordered.
 The only offices still using Wang equipment that we are aware of are Student
Financial Aid and Admission, both of which will have their equipment replaced
prior to or at the time of the move to CAB.)  Getting the Wang equipment
replaced does impact our email project, since it means 13 more offices (3
academic departments; 10 administrative departments) will have broader
network service coverage.

As another FYI, the Wang replacement project also involved upgrading some
central services for purposes of mainframe printing and uploads/downloads --
services that were available from the Wang OIS/VS computers, but not
available from a network connection.  We have placed on order TCP/IP for MVS,
which will allow telnetting directly to MVS.  To provide the necessary
mainframe printing services, we have on order the Novell SAA Gateway, which
will allow MVS and VM to print to network-connected printers which are
defined as Novell print queues.  I will be sending out an announcement to the
MUDIVREP list, since their input was incorporated into these plans.

Hope to see you at the 1:00 email audioteleconference today in 360 Gaskill.