MU-VMS Archives

July 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 1994 16:10:38 -0500
In article <1994Jul23.145026.27376@miavx1>, Joshua Smith
([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>         I have been hearing about more and more web pages that I want to see.
> Lynx seems like too limited a medium to really use the web.  I would like to
> use a web browser like Mosaic.  However, that seems to be impossible with a
> dial in connection.  A friend mentioned that there are special dial in
> connections like SLIP?, etc., that would allow me to use a browser like
Mosaic.
> Does Miami have any such service?

MCIS is experimenting with full TCP/IP service via high-speed dial-in services
for the DOS/Windows and Macintosh operating systems, but we do not yet have
sufficient resources to offer those services.  We are not yet experimenting
much with the PPP and SLIP protocols, but they are most definitely "on our
list" of services to consider offering.

>                                    Also I wouldn't mind being able to set up
> homepage, but have little experience, so would appreciate some help.  Thanks.

Please consult previous postings or contact me by private e-mail.

--

                          John B Harlan
         Campus Wide Information System (CWIS) Coordinator