MGTDEV-L Archives

March 1995

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bric Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 14:57:02 EST
This may also be of interest.  And I'm sure that Bob would welcome
your comments.

Bric

Date:    Thu, 16 Mar 1995 13:10:48 -0500
From:    Bob Filipczak <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Intensive training

Anybody out there doing extremely work-intensive training programs,
particularly management training? I'm doing a story on the topic for Training
Magazine and I'm looking for sources. Here's what Darryl Hartley-Leonard,
president of Hyatt Hotels, has to say about work-intensive meetings: "I
personally believe the most effective meetings are those that provide
employees with an investment in themselves. In fact, at the best meeting we
ever had at Hyatt, we worked our managers from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.--all
education, no wine, no beer, no social functions. The unanimous feedback was
that it was the best meeting they'd ever attended, even better than a trip to
Hawaii with their spouses."

A 15-hour day of learning? Several of them in a row? How do you pace this
kind of intensive training to prevent learner overload? And are more
companies doing it these days in order to get the most bang for their
training buck and take people away from their jobs for the least amount of
time?

If anybody can talk about this, or refer me to companies that hold these
kinds of training sessions, I'd be grateful.

You can respond to me at [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

Bev Geber

Bric A. Wheeler
Director, Center for Management Development
Richard T. Farmer School of Business Administration
Miami University, 114 Laws Hall
Oxford, OH  45056-1675
    Voice:  (513) 529-2132; FAX:  (513) 529-6992;
    E-mail:  [log in to unmask]