ADHS Archives

October 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David M Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 14:53:07 -500
Just received an offprint from Gunther Hirschfelder of his article,
"Bemerkungen zu Stand und Aufgaben volskundlichhistorischer
Alkoholforschung der Neuzeit," in RHEINISCH-WESTFAELISCHE ZEITSCHRIFT
FUER VOLKSKUNDE,  vol. 39 (1994) 87-127.  Dr. Hirschfelder's address
is Institut fuer Geschichtliche Landeskunde der Rheinlands der
Universitaet Bonn (or Am Hofgarten 22, D-53113 Bonn, Germany).  His
institute is studying the consumption of alcohol in Aachen, Germany,
and Manchester, England, 1700-1850, in order to judge the influence
of the industrial revolution on the drinking habits of the various
classes.  By the way, I should add his translation of the title of
his article: "Remarks on the State and Function of Ethnological and
Historical Alcohol Research, 1500-1950."  (Alas! I studied German in
1957-59, and am happy when I can understand half the words in a
sentence.)

David M. Fahey
History Department
Miami University